News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Setting up Win10 on new machine

Posted on shirlswoody Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Setting up Win10 on new machine

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

shirlswoody
      AskWoody Plus

I will have a new machine soon (HP Envy 17T i7 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM Win 10 Pro, etc.).  I don’t want to give up my Win7, but it will no longer accept updates, so I need something that will be safe online.  I have read through “Setting up Windows 10 for the First Time” here and will refer to it again.  But I’m wondering if someone out there could give me a fairly simple version to follow.  My excuse is I am 86, and while I’m pretty competent with computers, keeping up with all the technical stuff got beyond me!!  I do want to keep the old start menu if I can (I do on a couple of Win8 machines I seldom use), and I hope to install Office 2010 and some Adobe apps.  I use MS for backups and images and assume that will be as good as any other.  I will probably continue using Firefox and Thunderbird, just so I don’t go completely bonkers.

Am I making sense?!  Any ideas for me?

• #1731827 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

As for Microsoft Office, I have 2013 on a computer, 2010 on another computer and 2000 on a couple of Notebooks.  They all work fine but I was prudent in doing a Custom install and not installing the Outlook that comes with 2000, seems to give more problems than I need.  I seldom use and installed E-Mail Client but would prefer the Client that comes with the SeaMonkey browser or perhaps OE Classic.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1941164 Reply

shirlswoody
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks to you all for your responses. I don’t like to admit it, but “I’ve been busy” and now, four months later, I’m ready to dust off that laptop and turn it on!  Will study all your responses first!!

In my “research” I decided to do a “Windows 10 refresh” the first thing, as a way to get rid of bloatware.  But scanning thru discussions about updates will reconsider, to see if I can avoid 1903. Anyway, I have a few hours’ research yet to do before I find the On button.

• #1735098 Reply

cmptrgy
      AskWoody Plus

I will have a new machine soon (HP Envy 17T i7 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM Win 10 Pro, etc.).  I don’t want to give up my Win7, but it will no longer accept updates, so I need something that will be safe online.  I have read through “Setting up Windows 10 for the First Time” here and will refer to it again.  But I’m wondering if someone out there could give me a fairly simple version to follow.  My excuse is I am 86, and while I’m pretty competent with computers, keeping up with all the technical stuff got beyond me!!  I do want to keep the old start menu if I can (I do on a couple of Win8 machines I seldom use), and I hope to install Office 2010 and some Adobe apps.  I use MS for backups and images and assume that will be as good as any other.  I will probably continue using Firefox and Thunderbird, just so I don’t go completely bonkers.

Am I making sense?!  Any ideas for me?

Everything you ask about makes sense.

I have gone through “Setting up Windows 10 for the First Time” https://www.askwoody.com/forums/search/Setting+up+Windows+10+for+the+First+Time/.
      — Although there is a lot excellent information there, you probably want to focus on what applies to you.

Here are some of the things you want to do. I have them in a list so it’s easier to keep track of the goals to are looking for.
      — Unfortunately I’m not adept on how to accomplish them but I know there are many members who will be able to help you on them.
      Use “Firefox and Thunderbird”
      You “want to keep the old start menu if I can (I do on a couple of Win8 machines”
      “install Office 2010”
      as well as “some Adobe apps”

On the “MS for backups and images”, I imagine you mean Back up and Restore (Windows 7) in Control Panel.
      — I wouldn’t recommend that.
      — Microsoft recommends using a third-party program. I lost the article why but if I remember correctly Back up and Restore (Windows 7) is being deprecated.
      — I very glad though that you want to do “backup and Images”. Myself I use Macrium Reflect Free.
      — System image and data backups are paramount in my world and how I wish the people I help would go along with that.

Since you have an HP, McAfee LiveSafe(TM) Security Software will probably be offered.
      — You can go with that but consider Windows Defender or maybe whatever Firefox offers.

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1736861 Reply

anonymous

First thing I do with Windows 10 is install “Classic Shell” which gives me back Windows 7 menu looks.   Get to the desktop and launch Edge and go to……

http://www.classicshell.net/

Download and install.  May the classic Windows 7 menu live long. Goodbye Windows 10 menu structure.  You can still access it when classicshell is loaded if you really have to.

Second thing I do is download and install Google Chrome.  I don’t know about Thunderbird but FireFox works well the few times I’ve used it on Windows 10.  Be aware that Windows 10 will gag and want you to confirm you really want to use some other browser than Edge.

I have Office 2010 on both my desktop and laptop which both have Windows 10.  No issues installing it.

I have Adobe Photoshop CS6 and InDesign CS5.5 on my Windows 10 desktop.  Just make sure that if you have a licensed program with license codes like my two, you unregister them first on your older Windows 7 computer.  Make sure you have the license codes as you will need them to install licensed Adobe software on the new computer.  I found Adobe to be a pain in the butt since they kept pestering me to go with their cloud versions but finally they relented and activated both my Adobe programs.

Good to hear that us oldsters are still digital alive.

• #1737019 Reply

Microfix
        Da Boss

classic shell was superseded by openshell, IIRC there was an issue with W10 v1809 so the new developer fixed it and is available on github

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #1741612 Reply

cmptrgy
      AskWoody Plus

@shirlswoody when you boot up the computer everything will be about Windows 10.
      Some decisions you will need to make are:

Do you want to use a Microsoft account or a Local Admin account?
      — Personally I would recommend a Local Admin account.
      — Make sure to Create Password Reset Disk on USB Flash Drive in Windows 10 in case there is ever a password issue
      https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5193-create-password-reset-disk-usb-flash-drive-windows-10-a.html

If you ever need a Microsoft account, you can add one in when you want.
      — When you do, record every bit of information that needs to be provided.

You will be asked about some “tracking” options: I use the word “tracking” because I don’t recall the actual wording.
      — Don’t accept any of them you don’t agree with.

You will also be asked about using Cortana & OneDrive
      — I’m under the impression neither one should be agreed to but your decisions and what you need are what matters.

Fortunately it doesn’t take long to complete the set-up process: just take the time to agree/disagree with what you see.

After that make sure all needed current Windows Updates get installed.

At this point Edge will be your default browser.

On Office 2010, you should know the 25 character product key in case it becomes needed now or in the future.
      Go to http://www.belarc.com on the computer it’s on at this time. Scroll down to the Software Licenses section and you will see the 25 character product key. Don’t lose that.
      — How do you plan on installing it: do you have install media?
      I’m not sure but this might help you: Install Office 2010
      https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Install-Office-2010-1B8F3C9B-BDD2-4A4F-8C88-AA756546529D

I believe you will want to install your Office 2010 using a Microsoft account.
      — The reason is because if a serious issue comes up, it might be possible to re-install Office 2010 via the Microsoft account.
      — Unfortunately though, I say might but I’m not sure especially since you probably did not purchase Office 2010 through the Microsoft Store.
      — If others say you don’t have to do it that way, that’s ok with me.

Once your basic Windows 10 setup is completed, make a system image backup please.

After that you can move on to Firefox and whatever else you want to do.
      — Same principle applies: once Firefox is set-up to your liking make a system image backup please.

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Setting up Win10 on new machine

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.