News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Settings to stay on Windows 10 but allow all future updates for Windows 10

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » Settings to stay on Windows 10 but allow all future updates for Windows 10

Author
    Topic

I’m “tech support” for my friend, and I want to make sure her computer doesn’t upgrade to or even offer Windows 11 for the foreseeable future. She has Windows 10 Home.

However, I don’t want to have to keep updating the target release version; I prefer to intervene in her computer setup as infrequently as possible. I have system image backups set up to run nightly; if something truly ugly happens, I’ll recover for her.

Multiple sources mention three registry keys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate:

TargetReleaseVersion
    ProductVersion
    TargetReleaseVersionInfo

What I can’t find documented anywhere is whether it is possible to set the ProductVersion but not the TargetReleaseVersionInfo — that is, stay on Windows 10 but allow all future updates for Windows 10. Every example I can find that sets the product also sets the release. Microsoft’s text in the Group Policy Editor (I’m on Pro) isn’t clear, either.

Will just setting the ProductVersion, without no TargetReleaseVersionInfo, work? Do I then set TargetReleaseVersion to 1 or 0?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

Correct, just use the Product version.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.

Just to be clear… the TargetReleaseVersionInfo key should be deleted if present, and the TargetReleaseVersion key should be deleted (if present)? or set to 0?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Settings to stay on Windows 10 but allow all future updates for Windows 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.