News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • several issues with my inspiron laptop Windows installation

Posted on WSbrucebruce Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 several issues with my inspiron laptop Windows installation

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        WSbrucebruce
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi Woody,

I have a Dell Inspiron 3721 and a long while ago I upgraded it from 8.0 to 8.1 to Windows 10.

Today I had some issues with the registry and I used Dell recovery. When it finished I got to the screen where it asks for an old password(I’m the Admin.) and everytime I put in a password it keeps saying wrong. I went into the bios and I changed password in Admin. section. Thad didn’t help.

question #1: is there anyway I can find that password?

question #2: If I wiped out the hard drive totally I don’t have the windows 8 disc. but it did boot to windows 8,  I have a disc I had created from windows creation tool for windows 10. How can I change the boot sequence to read either the disc I made or the flash drive?

question #3: If I was able to boot from the window creation tool disc or flash drive, since it has windows 10 on it, would that put windows 10 in my sytem from  the get go?

the bios under “boot” looks like the following:

Secure Boot     Enabled

Load Legacy Option Rom    Disabled

Secure Boot Mode     Standard

Restore Factory Defaults

Delete all security boot keys

Add Boot Option

Delete a Boot option

View boot option properties

any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bruce

• #2264473 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

When you installed Win10 on your laptop and activated it, you received a Digital Entitlement that was stored on MS’s servers for Win10 on that PC. So if you reinstall Win10, it should automatically activate. You will need to chose the same Edition (Home or Pro) that was previously installed.

There is software available that can recover/change the Windows OS login password.

If the password you don’t know is to the Windows OS login, and you do a clean install, you will create a new ID and password and the old one will be immaterial.

I have a disc I had created from windows creation tool for windows 10. How can I change the boot sequence to read either the disc I made or the flash drive?

If you made this disk recently, and it is bootable, you can boot from it using an F key on startup. I believe it is F12 or F8 on a Dell that will give you the boot menu and allow you to choose to boot from the disk.
        If you didn’t make this disk recently, the best thing is to download the ISO on another PC and remake the install media because it will give you a later version of Win10.

• #2264495 Reply
        DrBonzo
        AskWoody Plus

I have an Inspiron and can verify that the F12 key will work if you want to enable a one-time boot from a usb device (‘one-time’ is sort of misleading as you could use the F12 key every time you boot if you want). The F2 key will get you into the BIOS where you can set the boot order if you press the key as soon as you see the “DELL” logo (enclosed in a circle) upon booting.

• #2264533 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Password change in Windows 8 is relatively easy if you can boot from CD.
        Search the internet for “windows password reset bootdisk”.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: several issues with my inspiron laptop Windows installation

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.