News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • ShadowCopyView v1.15

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Tools ShadowCopyView v1.15

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

ShadowCopyView is simple tool for Windows 10/8/7/Vista that lists the snapshots of your hard drive created by the ‘Volume Shadow Copy’ service of Windows. Every snapshot contains an older versions of your files and folders from the date that the snapshot was created, you can browse the older version of your files and folders, and optionally copy them into a folder on your disk.

ShadowCopyView vs ‘Previous Versions’ feature of Windows
        Windows operating system allows you to access the ‘Shadow Copies’ by right-clicking on the file/folder/drive, choosing ‘Properties’ and then ‘Previous Versions’. However, this feature might omit some of the shadow copies. ShadowCopyView displays all of them.
        Also, the ‘Previous Versions’ window doesn’t allow you to access copy system files unless UAC (User Account Control) is turned off. ShadowCopyView is executed with full admin rights (elevated process), so you can access and extract any file you need.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Alex5723.
        Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2298778 Reply
        BATcher
        AskWoody_MVP

OlderGeeks do/does a good job on reformatting the documentation, but a less-good job on indicating that Shadow Copy View is written by Nir Sofer of nirsoft.net who has produced a considerable number of other useful utilities, listed also on this page.  Anyone unfamiliar with these is advised to have a quick read through – it is highly likely that you will find a utility which you have always wanted!

BATcher

Ascetics go without, mystics go within.

5 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2298786 Reply
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

I for one, always prefer to go directly to the originator of the utility for downloading.
          It’s similar to obtaining device drivers..oem from source and not via third party sites.
          In decades of computing, I haven’t had any issues with utilities nor device drivers using this framework.
          Majorgeeks (my go to for years) supply a link to the originator site (if they have one) which I use in preference, and they credit the authors in their testing and conclusions when testing.

Win8.1 Pro | Linux Hybrids | Win7 Pro O/L | WinXP O/L
          4 users thanked author for this post.
          • #2298840 Reply
            Rick Corbett
            AskWoody_MVP

Majorgeeks (my go to for years) supply a link to the originator site (if they have one) which I use in preference, and they credit the authors in their testing and conclusions when testing.

Sadly that is not always the case. There was a specific thread on TenForums at the time about the lack of accreditation.

• #2298859 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

but a less-good job on indicating that Shadow Copy View is written by Nir Sofer of nirsoft.net

Attachments:
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: ShadowCopyView v1.15

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.