News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Share iPhone, iPad, or Mac Content or Screen With TV

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Share iPhone, iPad, or Mac Content or Screen With TV

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 months ago.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Someone texted me last night and asked me if he needed an Apple TV in order to share content or his screen from his iPhone to his TV. This article will outline some of the major options for sharing content or a screen from a Mac with a TV.

Apple TV

Using an Apple TV is the quickest and simplest method since the Apple TV supports AirPlay 2. The Apple TV is also excellent hardware with an easy-to-use interface that feels similar to iOS, great picture quality, and it can also run a range of apps. The remote is a little fragile, however, plus the remote has a built-in battery, but it can be charged using an iPhone cable (he had questions about the remote as well). There are two Apple TV models: Apple TV 4K Supports 4K and has the most processing power. Apple TV HD is the previous-generation model that outputs to HD only. Both support the latest version of “tvOS”, a variant of iOS adapted for TVs.

Apple TV App

If the goal is only to watch iTunes movies and TV shows or watch AppleTV+ content on one’s TV, another option is the Apple TV app. The Apple TV app is included with the hardware Apple TV, but it is also available on a range of devices (Roku, Fire TV, some smart TVs, as well as Mac, PC, iPhone, and iPad). Before investing in a new hardware Apple TV, it wouldn’t hurt to see if there’s a way to run the Apple TV app on one’s existing smart TV or streaming device if the goal is to watch iTunes movies and TV shows only.

For those wondering what is Apple TV+, Apple TV is the name of the hardware streaming boxes as well as Apple’s TV app available for third-party streaming devices. Apple TV+ is Apple’s version of Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video, with the major difference is all of the content is Apple original. A year free comes with every Apple hardware purchase, or it’s $4.99/month. My initial review is here. I am not a consistent subscriber to it. Occasionally I may signup for a month here or there if there’s something specific I want to watch on it (so I treat it more as a way to occasionally rent content).

AirPlay 2

Apple TV hardware is not the only hardware to support AirPlay 2. Some recent smart TVs also support AirPlay 2, so for those who own a recent TV, it’s a good idea to check to see if it supports AirPlay 2 or can do so with a software update before investing in an Apple TV if the goal is to AirPlay content from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to a TV.

With AirPlay 2 (whether on Apple TV or a smart TV), one can easily AirPlay audio or video from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to one’s TV, as well as mirror the entire screen to the TV as well.

Other Options

There are other options to send some content from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to third-party devices as well. Some iPhone or iPad audio or video content can be sent to a Chromecast. It depends on the Apple, but I have tested this between my iPhone and a Sling TV AirTV running Android TV which supports Chromecast, and it worked. There’s also a way to Cast Chrome tabs or one’s desktop to Chromecast, and these work on a Mac as well as a Windows PC.

Another series of apps that have worked well for me are AirParrot and Reflector from AirSquirrels. AirParrot can share a Mac’s screen with Chromecast or a Windows PC’s screen with Apple TV (among other uses). Reflector can allow an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to send content to an Android device or Fire TV stick or even to a Mac or Windows PC (I use it to share my iPhone screen during webinars). Both apps are cost-effective and offer additional options for breaking the Mac/Windows/iOS/Android/Fire TV barrier when it comes to sending media to other devices.

So depending on what one wants to do and what devices they currently own, there are multiple options from some that work simply out-of-the-box with others that take a little more up-front configuration. One can share content from their iPhone, iPad, or Mac screen with their TV and enjoy the content on the larger screen.

Nathan Parker

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2223666 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

There’s also a way to directly share your entire desktop using Chrome and Chromecast. Someone emailed me about that from a Mac user group who read this post, so I wanted to mention that here as well.

Nathan Parker

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Share iPhone, iPad, or Mac Content or Screen With TV

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel