News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Should I be relieved or concerned?

Posted on DooDahMan Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 2004 – May 2020 Update Should I be relieved or concerned?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        DooDahMan
        AskWoody Plus

I have three Windows 10 Pro PCs, two desktops and a laptop. I postponed installing 2004 until this past weekend, then installed it on each PC beginning with the oldest. No problems with the Dell XPS 8300 or the Dell M2800; took a while but nothing as far as I can tell broke. The newest PC, a Dell XPS 8700, the one with the home office apps and data, does not even display 2004 as available. Checking for updates manually states that the 8700 is current. A message “Some settings are managed by your organization” is being displayed. This is a home (workgroup) network, not a domain so I don’t know what I may have done to enable this setting.

Should I download the .MSU file and manually install it or leave well enough alone? I don’t need any of the features offered in the 2004 release and the 8700 is working fine. And yes, I perform backups to multiple external HDDs every few days.

• #2276620 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

The message you are getting, “Some settings are managed by your organization,” is because there are settings somewhere else that are controlling Window Update (not external to your network).
        If that is Win10 Pro, those settings are probably in Group Policy.
        The other possibility is settings a third-party update blocker has made. Are you using one or have ever installed on on the computer?

After you solve that problem, I would recommend waiting to upgrade if your computer is not offered v2004. MS has blocked upgrades to some computers because of incompatibility/problems.

• #2276630 Reply
        anonymous

A message “Some settings are managed by your organization” is being displayed.

Isn’t there a link immediately below that which says, “View configured update policies”; which leads to a list of “Policies set on your device”?

How to View Configured Update Policies in Windows 10

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Should I be relieved or concerned?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.