News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Should I enable Bitlocker

Posted on Colorado_Hiker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Should I enable Bitlocker

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Colorado_Hiker
        AskWoody Plus

Hi Everyone:

I’m switching from using a desktop to using a laptop 100% of the time (we travel a lot).  This will include Quickbooks, Quicken, and a lot of data on the laptop that I would not like someone to have access to if my laptop was stolen.

I have a Dell Latitude 7280 which supports TPM 2.0 and I’m using a 1TB SSD.  I’m familiar with Bitlocker from my corporate IT days (pre-retirement!).  I’m curious as to the general consensus of this group if I should bite the bullet and Bitlocker my hard drive.  My concerns are: 1) Bitlocker affecting the lifespan of the SSD, and 2) having TPM barf along the way and having to enter the Bitlocker key (I’ve seen this happen on several servers where for no apparent reason, the encryption key was required on a reboot.)

So, what’s the general feeling?

TIA,

Jim

• #1976257 Reply
        Colorado_Hiker
        AskWoody Plus

CORRECTION:  I have TPM 2.0    (I have since gone back and corrected the original post)

• #1976275 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

I have had BitLocker enabled on my Surface Pro 3 since I got it in Dec. 2014 (wow, I can’t believe it was that long ago). I’ve had no problems. I backed it up to my Microsoft account. After I put Office 365 from my work account (I still consult there) on the PC it would only back up to my Azure AD account. I think this is a bug and have filed a report in the Feedback Hub because my primary and only account on the machine is my Microsoft account. So, I just printed the recovery key and keep it in a safe place even when we travel.

I’d still recommend using Bitlocker.

--Joe

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by joep517.
      • #1976459 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

please note, Bitlocker requires at least the Professional edition of Windows.
        It’s not available to Core/Home editions as noted in MS support article 4028713:
        https://support.microsoft.com/help/4028713/

so I assume you guys are using minimum Win10 Pro

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by EP.
        • This reply was modified 9 months ago by EP.
      • #1976526 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

… well.

BitLocker doesn’t produce much load, so with anything that has at least 2 cores and the AES-NI instructions should have enough computing power for it. Also no meaningful difference in disk lifetime.

Valid reasons to not use it even if you have it (W7 Enterprise or later Pro) would be if you don’t consider it secure enough. And by secure I mean the 2-way definition where being able to access your own data when you need it is the other half – so servers that need to boot up without asking for passwords, etc.

So, folks who need to keep their stuff away from Microsoft or the governments in whatever countries they’re in, might want to use VeraCrypt instead. You know, the product with the plausible deniability mode (so you can open it and have it look like there’s nothing particularly interesting in there) and also reduced probability of US Government or Microsoft backdoors.

• #1976828 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Bitlocker affecting the lifespan of the SSD

SSDs do not have short lifespans.
        https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead/

cheers, Paul

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Should I enable Bitlocker

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.