News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Should I update beyond the 1809 version

Posted on WSmmi16 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1809 – September 2018 Update Should I update beyond the 1809 version

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

WSmmi16
      AskWoody Lounger

I am currently running Windows 10 Version 1809 that was installed in March 2019

Looking at my Update History it looks like 1903 tried to update in August 2019, but failed.

Should I download and update to 1909 ?????

• #2005026 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

Not yet.

1909 has been widely available for (…glances at watch…) 25 hours now. I’m going to wait a few months to see if anything creeps out of the woodwork.

You might want to move to 1903 at some point. I’m still struggling with that. When I figure the benefits of 1903 outweigh the problems, I’ll let everybody know loud and clear.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2005033 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

1903 and 1909 are the same core.

Here are my suggestions:
      Be sure you 1809 is up to date.
      Be sure your drivers are up to date – check with the computer mfg.’s website.
      + In an elevated command prompt run “chkdsk /f” (without quotes). Reboot when asked.
      + In an elevated command prompt run “DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth”
      + In an elevated command prompt run “sfc /scannow
      Did it fix any errors?

1809 is good until May 2020, but if you just feel you have to update now, try again to install 1903.

If it fails, come back and we can do some additional troubleshooting to see why it is not installing.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2005958 Reply

anonymous

My v1809 Home installation tried to update to v1903 but failed last month.  I was a bit surprised at that.  As the v1809 system has not been stable, I thought I would get rid of the Dell support programs and move to v1903 with a clean installation from an ISO.

I made an image and crossed my fingers.

It is now just over 2 hours since starting and I have just reconnected to the router.  The splash screen says:

“Let’s finish setting up

Now that you are connected to the network you aren’t able to finish setting up your device”

Que?

I thought I had set my Language package to English (UK) not Chinglish…

Do I have confidence in this OS?…

• #2005983 Reply

anonymous

Almost 3 hours now, and 19 updates have downloaded and failed to install for various reasons.  Only one has successfully installed – for Qualcomm Bluetooth.  Maybe my installation needs that driver before anything else?  I doubt it as I am on a wifi network…

And I want a sharpened stake for Cortana.  Piercing her heart would be good for my soul.  Does she never give up?

• #2006312 Reply

anonymous

Continuing the story…

I gave up last night and left it switched on.  At the moment, there are over 1000 errors and warnings in 24hrs in Event Viewer.  That is worse than the installation it replaced.  But the Dell Support Assist failures are not there which is a start.

DISM, SFC and chkdsk are OK.  v1903 has not crashed on me in 24hrs which is good.  By the way, this is a 6 months old Dell 8930 with an i7 CPU, a NVMe disk and 16GB of RAM.

I am still installing and setting up the various programs.

To answer the OP, if your system is working, leave it alone!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Should I update beyond the 1809 version

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.