News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Should I update Nvidia graphics card drivers?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1803 – April 2018 Update Should I update Nvidia graphics card drivers?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by

mn– 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Tex265
      AskWoody Plus

When I bought my Maingear computer last March, it came with Windows 10 Pro v1709, and a high quality Nvidia graphics card with current Nvidia drivers.

October of 2018 I upgraded to v1803 and the Windows updater installed older Nvidia drivers than what I had originally.

All seems to work and I am not really a gamer, so should I go to the Nvidia website, download and install a more current driver package – say 3 to 6 months old or leave well enough alone?

Also, will Windows select and install Nvidia drivers with each subsequent feature update?

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
    • #323995 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Use wushowhide to hide the drivers from Microsoft. They often cause problems.

If you want to update the drivers, go to the computer mfg’s or the component mfg’s website and update from there.

• #324015 Reply

Microfix
        Da Boss

Component mft website: nvidia drivers

| W8.1 Pro x64 | Linux x64 Hybrids | W7 Pro x86 | XP Pro O/L
      • #324608 Reply

Tex265
        AskWoody Plus

PK, In this instance (my first Feature update) I had no option to hide drivers. Microsoft took it upon itself to install the replacement Nvidia drivers (along with quite a few others) when it installed the 1803 version.

Since it was one KB, there was/were (as far as I know) no way to slice and dice via wushowhide to hide/deselect drivers.

I did have Group Policy selected so as Not to include drivers with Windows Updates, but this was obviously ignored (it is honored regarding in-feature updates).

Is there something else I should do next time around?

Per the original question, at this point – should I obtain, download, and install more current Nvidia drivers?

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
        • #324618 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

My philosophy about drivers:
          If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
          If you gotta fix it, go to the source – computer or hardware OEM.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #325287 Reply

mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

PK, In this instance (my first Feature update) I had no option to hide drivers. Microsoft took it upon itself to install the replacement Nvidia drivers (along with quite a few others) when it installed the 1803 version.

Yes, the feature update process does that a lot. Unfortunately.

Per the original question, at this point – should I obtain, download, and install more current Nvidia drivers?

If you have a reason to.

Ad-hoc checklist:
          1. Do all your display connectors work correctly?
          2. Are all graphics settings accessible and do they work correctly?
          3. Do all your graphics APIs and media codecs work correctly?
          4. Does GPU compute offloading work correctly?
          5. Is performance sufficient for what you expect and not significantly degraded from previous state?

Intel HD graphics in newish laptops seem to fail a lot on 1 and 2 with the feature update to 1803… as they may need up-to-date drivers to produce output at the HDMI or VGA connectors.

Of course it makes sense to keep an archive of drivers as long as you have the hardware, just in case, but…

• #325278 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

What PKCano said, or as you put it—leave well enough alone.

It’s good practice not to update drivers unless you have a specific reason to do so—usually some piece of hardware acting up, less usually making some software work better, often AAA games.

If you do decide to update:

1. Image your system disk.

2. Go to the hardware maker’s site and download the correct driver for your system—some places will have a facility to detect your system specs automatically.

3. [optional] Save that driver on a USB drive if you can.

4. Install.

Note that with parts like graphics & sound cards, it’s usually better to go to the chip maker first—usually nVidia or AMD—rather than to the card maker’s site, eg Gigabyte.

If the original maker has gone out of business, then the next bet is your computer manufacturer’s site.

Leave Microsoft as your last option. Not that they’re doing anything wrong, just that they’re in last place in the chip-card-computer-OS supply chain, so their version is least likely to be up-to-date.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Should I update Nvidia graphics card drivers?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.