News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Show Desktop Icons

Posted on Caroart Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Show Desktop Icons

Topic Resolution: Resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Caroart 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Caroart
      AskWoody Lounger

All my icons have disappeared from the desktop.  I can’t figure out what happened, unless it was from an update. How can I get them back on the desktop?

• #1867350 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Can you give us some other information about your computer?
      What version of Win10 are you running?
      When and What was the latest update you did?
      When did the problem start? When you did an update or installed a program or made a change on your computer/it’s settings?
      Can you log in with your usual ID?
      Has the desktop background  also changed?

• #1867617 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

Another test, right-click the Taskbar, click Toolbars, click Desktop.  On the Taskbar o the lefe of the Notification Area [where the clock is] will appear the word Desktop with 2 arrows on the right of it.  Click those arrows and see if any appears on the list that pops up.  If so right-click the Desktop itself and click Sort By, make a choice.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
    • #1867698 Reply

Caroart
      AskWoody Lounger

Using Windows 10 Home.
      Last Update- KB4499167 on 5/18/2019. No new program installed.
      Noticed change in icons aout a couple months ago.
      No change in login or desktop background.

All programs show when clicking the 2 arrows in Toolbar.  No response or Sort By shows u when right clicking the desktop.

Thank you both for your response.

• #1867724 Reply

Caroart
      AskWoody Lounger

Thank you.  I tried all the different steps with no luck. I really tried to follow each instruction carefully.

I might mention that when I right click on the Desktop, nothing like View or anything else pops up.

• #1867725 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

In search (desk top) type in winver tell us what it says in popup.

It should look like this:

winver

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

Attachments:
    • #1867727 Reply

Caroart
      AskWoody Lounger

See attachment

Capture

Attachments:
    • #1867759 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

Okay, thanks.

Try this:

On the double arrow on tool bar (close to clock) click on it to expand the items.

Look for THIS PC in list.

Mouse over This PC, see Desktop in drop down list.

Right click on Desktop and select Properties at the bottom.

Click on Previous Versions Tab and see if there are any other versions there.

Revert to one that precedes the icon issue.

Worth a try.

• #1867761 Reply

Caroart
      AskWoody Lounger

“There are no previous versions available”

Bummer!

• #1867769 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

I was hoping beyond hope. I can guess there are no sys restore points available either. Have a look see.

systemrestore

Use search again.

Windows has a nasty habit of removing restore points after an update. Grrrr!

That’s why I and many others make an image of drive(s) b4 updating, and as a normal SOP.

Attachments:
    • #1867812 Reply

Caroart
      AskWoody Lounger

Seems strange there was no activity in Apr or May. Don’t know if I want to go back to March. Lots of updating etc looks like. I have to think about it.

Thanks for you patience and help.

Attachments:
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1868775 Reply

Bluetrix
        AskWoody MVP

@caroart,
        Obviously your right click function is working in some instances, just not on your desktop. The KB you updated to shouldn’t have affected any right click function. Total failure is easier to diagnose than “selective” failure.

Your problem’s description sounds like your computer is operating in Tablet mode instead of Desktop mode. Tablet mode will disable right click function on your Desktop, but will work in other instances. In Tablet mode, desktop icons are not visible and right clicking on an empty space will not do anything (like show you View). You might see Window Tiles instead of icons in Tablet mode. Let’s check what “Mode” your computer is in, Desktop or Tablet mode. There are several ways to get to settings. I use the WINDOWS Key + X, or you can enter “settings” in the search box.

Open System Settings and scroll to Tablet mode. You should see what “mode” your computer is working in. In the box below “When I sign in” make sure it says “Use Desktop mode.”

Tablet

Below that in same window is another box, you should set it to “Always ask me before switching.”

If you had to change the setting to “Desktop mode”, restart the computer and the problem should be solved.

If this doesn’t solve the problem, screenshot what you see (if anything) when right clicking on your desktop and post it.
        This is what a typical desktop right click will show, it varies with setup.

rightclickdesktop

And this is a Mouse over “View” showing options.

mouseover

Attachments:
        3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1868061 Reply

steeviebops
      AskWoody Lounger

Maybe this is too simple but can’t be ruled out.

Right-click desktop background, go to View and make sure that “Show desktop icons” is enabled.

• #1869116 Reply

Caroart
      AskWoody Lounger

When right clicking on the desktop, no menu pops up nor do I get any type of response.

• #1869680 Reply

anonymous

Have you tried the course of action in @bluetrix ‘s post (#1868775) just above?

• #1869218 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Try left click – maybe the mouse buttons are swapped / not working.

cheers, Paul

• #1869675 Reply

anonymous

From @bluetrix ‘s post #1868775, just above:

Obviously your right click function is working in some instances, just not on your desktop.

@bluetrix then goes on to suggest that the problem might be that the Windows installation has been inadvertently put into “Tablet Mode”, and proceeds to describe hot to tell:

Your problem’s description sounds like your computer is operating in Tablet mode instead of Desktop mode. Tablet mode will disable right click function on your Desktop, but will work in other instances. In Tablet mode, desktop icons are not visible and right clicking on an empty space will not do anything

I have switched mouse buttons within Windows, and it has always taken effect system-wide, not just selectively. I also believe that if the right mouse button were physically deficient, it would probably be more evident than only on the user’s desktop and nowhere else.

• #1869826 Reply

Caroart
      AskWoody Lounger

WOW! I found it! I’m so embarrased that it was so simple. I opened Action Center by clicking to the right of the date/time on the task bar. At the bottom under Expand it shows Tablet mode, Network, All settings, Airplane mode.  Tablet mode was set to ON. I turned it off and that did the trick.

I feel so stupid, but sure learned a lesson.  Thank you all so very much for your patience and suggestions.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Show Desktop Icons

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.