News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Show Hidden Files on macOS

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Show Hidden Files on macOS

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I looked around AskWoody, and I don’t see this posted, so I’m posting this here for my weekly column. If it has been posted before, feel free to merge this with the existing post (I searched and don’t see anything!).

This week I needed to temporarily show hidden files on my Mac. In case Mac users run into an issue needing to show hidden files on a Mac, here’s how to do so.

Hide a File (or Folder)

• Run this command in Terminal, and before hitting enter, add a space to the end of the command and drag the file or folder to the Terminal to include the path to the file or folder: chflags hidden
        • To unhide a file or folder, do the same process with this command: chflags nohidden

View Hidden Files in Finder

• Run each of these two commands in the Terminal:defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE followed by killall Finder
        • To re-hide files in the Terminal, run each of these two commands:defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE followed by killall Finder

Nathan Parker

• #2210072 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

A couple of people from a Mac user group I emailed these instructions to also emailed me and said Shift+Command+Period (.) will show/hide files in the Finder, so that’s another option.

Nathan Parker

• #2210091 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

According to this top-of-search-page advice,  that same combination of keys can be used to reveal or hide a folder or file:

You can use a keyboard shortcut to easily show hidden files and hide them again in a Mac. In Finder you can press Command + Shift + . to show hidden files. If you want to hide those files again, you can press this shortcut again. This method applies to macOS Sierra or higher.

Some other methods are explained here.
          I have used what is called in this article “Method 1” to reveal the Library ad its contents:

https://www.fonepaw.com/mac/show-hidden-files-folders-mac.html

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Show Hidden Files on macOS

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.