News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Silverlight

Posted on berniec Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Silverlight

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  OscarCP 2 weeks ago.

• Author

berniec
      AskWoody Plus

I’ve had an update to Silverlight held in limbo for about two months now .  I’m wondering what it is for.  I don’t seem to have a “silverlight” installed on my win 10 [/pro 1809] system — it isn’t in programs I can uninstall and doesn’t seem to be a “windows feature” I can turn on or off.

Can I/should I continue to just ignore this update?  Or should I install it, even though I have no idea *what* on my system it’ll be updating?   Is Silverlight something I have [but it is hidden away] or something I ought to have?

• #1941983 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

You can continue to ignore it if you do not need it. It is a browser extension like Flash.

• #1942370 Reply

PaulK
      AskWoody Lounger

Hide it. There exist something like 14 or 15 Silverlight updates (they are differentiable by KB number). Just continue hiding any that show up; eventually they’ll all be hidden and you won’t have any more offered.

• #1942558 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

It is only for watching Netflix’s videos and some other videos with Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) for Windows 7 (one does not need Silverlight to see videos with IE 11 for Windows 8.1, or with FireFox, Waterfox, Chrome, and some other browsers, regardless of the Windows version that one has) .

If you do not use Internet Explorer 11 for watching videos, but use instead some of those other browsers I mentioned, you may safely ignore those Silverlight updates.

Unless you want to watch videos from some service that still require Silverlight and IE 11 for watching… None of the ones I watch (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube) have that requirement. I’ll be surprised if any streaming service still does, but what do I know?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Silverlight

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.