News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Silverlight

Posted on berniec Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Silverlight

Tagged: 

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve had an update to Silverlight held in limbo for about two months now .  I’m wondering what it is for.  I don’t seem to have a “silverlight” installed on my win 10 [/pro 1809] system — it isn’t in programs I can uninstall and doesn’t seem to be a “windows feature” I can turn on or off.

Can I/should I continue to just ignore this update?  Or should I install it, even though I have no idea *what* on my system it’ll be updating?   Is Silverlight something I have [but it is hidden away] or something I ought to have?

• #1941983 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

You can continue to ignore it if you do not need it. It is a browser extension like Flash.

• #1942370 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Hide it. There exist something like 14 or 15 Silverlight updates (they are differentiable by KB number). Just continue hiding any that show up; eventually they’ll all be hidden and you won’t have any more offered.

• #1942558 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

It is only for watching Netflix’s videos and some other videos with Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) for Windows 7 (one does not need Silverlight to see videos with IE 11 for Windows 8.1, or with FireFox, Waterfox, Chrome, and some other browsers, regardless of the Windows version that one has) .

If you do not use Internet Explorer 11 for watching videos, but use instead some of those other browsers I mentioned, you may safely ignore those Silverlight updates.

Unless you want to watch videos from some service that still require Silverlight and IE 11 for watching… None of the ones I watch (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube) have that requirement. I’ll be surprised if any streaming service still does, but what do I know?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2137053 Reply
        KYKaren
        AskWoody Plus

I am now solely using my Win10 machines. Yesterday, following recommendations to control the otherwise automatic nature of Windows Update,  I

• have set Feature Updates to some days beyond the last Feature Update (I chose 180 days since I recently updated to Version 1909, released Nov 12, 2019),
        • have set Quality Updates to 0
        • have set Automatic Windows Update in the Group Policy Editor to “#2 – Notify Download/install”

Today, I received notification from Windows Update that there were two updates to download:

• Defender Anti-Virus version 1.309.569.0 (the latest one) — I am using McAfee Internet Security, but Defender is also working in the background
        • Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64 (KB4534132)

I have not clicked on the link to download them.

I have also downloaded wushowhide. I used that to show the updates that are waiting to be downloaded. The two files mentioned above were listed, in addition to Silverlight KB1481252.

Why does the Windows Update screen not list silverlight.exe as a file to be downloaded along with the Defender update and the .NET update?

I am wondering why silverlight.exe shows up in the download queue? I happened to have a silverlight.exe file dated 6/16/2017 in a very old file folder that contains files to be manually installed for my Vista machine back then, when Vista had reached its EOL and I was manually installing Windows Server 2008 security updates to keep Vista protected. Is that why wushowhide says that silverlight.exe is waiting?

I have checked Apps and Features to see if Silverlight is installed on my 1909 Win10 machine It is not listed there. I have read that silverlight is a deprecated application, so I am assuming that I do not want it to download and install, right?

I have hidden silverlight with wushowhide. Now that it is hidden, can I presume that it will not download, when I click on the Download button on the Windows Update screen?

If I never want to download and install this silverlight.exe update, how do I purge it from the download queue? Or do I just let it stay there forever as a hidden file?

If I don’t want silverlight.exe to ever appear again in the future (let’s say after it is purged or maybe after it disappears sometime later), perhaps I should delete that silverlight.exe file that is in that old folder that dates back to the Vista era so that Win10 is not inclined to put silverlight.exe in the queue again?

Offline: Win7Pro ∙ SP1 ∙ x64
        Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-6500U ∙ RAM 12GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender
        Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-8565U ∙ RAM 16GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender

• #2137057 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Silverlight sits in the wushowhide queue on all my Win10 machines but it has never shown up in the Windows Update queue as pending. I have ignored it.
          It does no harm to hide it, so it won’t show up in wushowhide again.

Don’t forget you have set the Features deferral to 180 days. Mark the day on your calendar. If you forget, MS won’t when the 180 days is up for 1909. 🙂

• #2137074 Reply
        KYKaren
        AskWoody Plus

Silverlight sits in the wushowhide queue on all my Win10 machines but it has never shown up in the Windows Update queue as pending. I have ignored it.
        It does no harm to hide it, so it won’t show up in wushowhide again.

OK, the silverlight question about how it got in wushowhide is answered, I think. Let me follow up: since it shows up in wushowhide on YOUR Win 10 machines, too, then I can presume that my having a silverlight.exe file in an old, old folder on MY machine is not the reason it showed up for me, right? In other words, for some unexplained reason, it just shows up in wushowhide.

Don’t forget you have set the Features deferral to 180 days. Mark the day on your calendar. If you forget, MS won’t when the 180 days is up for 1909. 🙂

Now, I hope you don’t consider this off-topic. I want to ask about setting Feature Update to 180 days. I am on 1909 and I know that 1909 came out Nov 12, 2019 for the general public. I know that I’ve set the Feature Update deferral to 180 days, and using Calculating Duration with the end date included, then the deferral ends May 9, 2020.  Given your advice to “not forget,” can I surmise that maybe that’s not enough time since it’s not known yet

• a) when 2003 is going to be released?
        • b) and for the wrinkles in versions 2003 to be ironed out first?

I thought it would be enough time, but maybe not?

Offline: Win7Pro ∙ SP1 ∙ x64
        Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-6500U ∙ RAM 12GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender
        Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-8565U ∙ RAM 16GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Silverlight

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.