News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Silverlight End of Support

Posted on geekdom Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Silverlight End of Support

Topic Resolution: Not a Question

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Author
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Microsoft Silverlight will reach the end of support on October 12, 2021.
        Note also that support for Internet Explorer 10 ended on January 31, 2020.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4511036/silverlight-end-of-support

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox80.0b4 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        7 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2279559 Reply
        Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

I still have Silverlight on my Win 7 but was never quite sure what it was for.  Am I right in assuming I don’t need it and should uninstall it?  I never use IE 11 for Web surfing anymore.

Win 7, Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz, Linux Mint 19.1, Klaatu barada nikto

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2279563 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Silverlight was Microsoft’s add-on like FlashPlayer. You don’t need it.

• #2279564 Reply
          satrow
          AskWoody MVP

Depends, some browsers may still need it for DRM-restricted playback, eg. Netflix. If you’re fine installing/running Chrome it shouldn’t make a difference.

4 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2279571 Reply
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

I’ve often wondered why Microsoft opted to ship ‘Flash’ instead of ‘Silverlight’ in W10. Edge may have been the answer on W10 introduction, or so they thought at the time. With the IE browser being ‘unsafe’ to a certain extent, there may be something in the new Chredge that will supercede silverlight for backward compatibility, who knows..

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
        • #2279575 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

I have never run into anything on the Internet (or otherwise) that wouldn’t work without Silverlight. Flash – many times requests to enable Flash, but never Silverlight. Maybe b/c I don’t use IE(?).

• #2279579 Reply
            Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

‘the internet’ being askwoody of course 😉

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
          • #2279586 Reply
            Kirsty
            Da Boss

I’m stuck with Silverlight for SaaS cloud software… 😰

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2279705 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I needed Silverlight to stream video from Netflix when using IE 11 as browser, because the Win 7 version (unlike the one for Win 8.1) did not have an HTML5 client. There was no other reason. Now, I don’t use browsers when running Windows 7, because I no longer connect to the Internet with it. I use Linux, in dual boot with Win 7, instead, where I have Chrome and FireFox as browsers, both of which now use an HTML5 client and allow streaming of Digital Rights Management (DRM) restricted video. So: goodby, Silverlight, you served me faithfully while I needed you, now is time for you to retire; go and live out your days in peace and contentment after a job well done.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2279724 Reply
        Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus

I uninstalled Silverlight years ago, but am still being offered an update for it – KB4481252, which I have hidden in wushowhide.  Hopefully with end of support, it will go away.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004

• #2279732 Reply
          Rick Corbett
          AskWoody_MVP

Only one hidden Silverlight update for Windows 10?

Behold the joys of Windows 7:

silverlight02

Attachments:
          • #2279762 Reply
            Alex5723
            AskWoody Plus

Never encountered Silverlight update for Windows 10.

• #2280047 Reply
            MrChaz
            AskWoody Lounger

That’s a lot of un-necessary steps to avoid Silverlight..here’s mine 🙂

Silverlight

illegitimi Non Carborundum
            Attachments:
          • #2280150 Reply
            firemind
            AskWoody Lounger

Aargh! i hated this about Silverlight in Win 7. You could hide important much needed updates in WU and not see them later but this optional one never went away.

Nag tactics like this make people avoid using/buying products. And after all that nagging I never was told by a site or program I needed to install Silverlight.

• #2279772 Reply
          Kirsty
          Da Boss

KB4481252

… that is one of the 2019 Japanese eras updates. Maybe it was triggered prior to your uninstallation?

• #2279794 Reply
        SearchingForParadise
        AskWoody Plus

Any advice on how to uninstall Silverlight on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 without breaking the operating system?

• #2279800 Reply
          satrow
          AskWoody MVP

It isn’t part of the OS, it shouldn’t break anything in Windows.

• #2280019 Reply
          Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

In my Win 7 I went to Control Panel / Programs & Features, and there it was, Microsoft Silverlight ready to be uninstalled.  Not a problem with Win 7.

• #2279808 Reply
        SearchingForParadise
        AskWoody Plus

It isn’t part of the OS, it shouldn’t break anything in Windows.

Good! But there is no uninstall option. Silverlight isn’t listed under Control Panel > Programs and Features > Uninstall.

• #2279819 Reply
          satrow
          AskWoody MVP

Nothing under Microsoft Silverlight?

Or Installed Updates?

Or under Plugins in any of your browsers options/preferences/… ?

• #2280087 Reply
            OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

Silverlight, if I remember correctly, at least in Windows 7, had and may still have a folder in one of the “Programs” or “Windows” directories containing its executable and associated libraries, etc. Deleting the folder will remove it. Not sure why anyone will bother to remove it, unless the Hard Disk or SSD is really small and seriously needs to be freed from useless clutter. The updates are a separate issue. Hiding new ones is a good practice, to later on  delete them. Older updates can also be deleted by hand, but finding them is more of a hassle. I am all for forgiving and forgetting (when it comes to Silverlight, that is.)

• #2279823 Reply
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

Portable BleachBit will uninstall Silverlight

Silver

Attachments:
          • #2279825 Reply
            satrow
            AskWoody MVP

Great, we’ll all learn something from that suggestion…

• #2280016 Reply
            Elly
            AskWoody MVP

From BleachBit FAQ:

While it does not delete software such as the operating system or web browsers, it deletes specific information produced by software.

(emphasis mine)

Perhaps you are suggesting that after Silverlight is uninstalled, using Bleachbit to remove the silverlight.xml file that remains, may result in no longer receiving Silverlight updates through Windows Update?

I really like BleachBit… and that may be a valid step in completely removing traces of Silverlight from one’s system… but BleachBit does not uninstall programs.

One caution… you can remove too much, resulting in programs failing to work as expected. BleachBit allows fine control of what is removed… so educate yourself, before making changes, and select accordingly.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

• #2280067 Reply
              satrow
              AskWoody MVP

The .xml file is for Bleachbit, it’s the license, notes and tests made, description and cleaning options, as well as paths searched for files to delete…

Multimedia viewer

EDIT: …most of which is ‘lost’ by the Blog software here – open the .xml file in Notepad to see the raw data, or a browser to see something that should be more humanly readable.

• #2280068 Reply
            Charlie
            AskWoody Plus

The Silverlight Program on my Win 7 is 845 Megabytes.

• #2279815 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Just checked my Windows 10 1909 Pro June updates.
        I do have Silverlight 5.1.20913.0 installed by Logitech MyHarmony software in
        C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\MyHarmony\AppFiles\PlugIns\Silverlight_5.1.20913.0
        and
        C:\Users\USER\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Silverlight

• #2280054 Reply
        MrChaz
        AskWoody Lounger

One thing not mentioned here in removing Silverlight completely from Windows 7, is the vast amount of remnant registry entries left behind once uninstalled. There is NO cleaner (reg cleaners or otherwise) that will remove them so don’t be fooled into believing otherwise.The dead keys do no harm anyway.

• #2280065 Reply
          Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

CCleaner usually gets most of my leftover registry entries.  So we’ll see.

• #2280083 Reply
            MrChaz
            AskWoody Lounger

Charlie wrote:

CCleaner usually gets most of my leftover registry entries. So we’ll see.

Look forward to a report on your findings for all to see and read.

Once you have removed what has been reported ‘cleared’ by ccleaner, run ‘regedit’ and search for ‘silverlight’ and ALL will be revealed, press F3 to find the next redundant entry and so on.

• #2280093 Reply
              Rick Corbett
              AskWoody_MVP

Or use something like Nir Sofer’s RegScanner. This lets you search and display ALL found results in a list rather than having to use F3 to move from ‘found’ result to the next.

(Just remember to download the right ‘bitness’ version for your device and to use ‘Run as administrator’.)

Hope this helps…

• #2280113 Reply
              Charlie
              AskWoody Plus

Once you have removed what has been reported ‘cleared’ by ccleaner, run ‘regedit’ and search for ‘silverlight’ and ALL will be revealed, press F3 to find the next redundant entry and so on.

Yep, I’ve done that many times before MrChaz. It will be interesting to see now that you’ve sparked my interest.

🙂

• #2280362 Reply
              Charlie
              AskWoody Plus

Just for the heck of it I checked the registry with Silverlight still installed.  I found a total of six registry entries.  I was a bit surprised myself.  When I uninstall it I’ll see how many CCleaner gets and report in again.

• #2282715 Reply
              Charlie
              AskWoody Plus

Look forward to a report on your findings for all to see and read. Once you have removed what has been reported ‘cleared’ by ccleaner, run ‘regedit’ and search for ‘silverlight’ and ALL will be revealed, press F3 to find the next redundant entry and so on.

Okay, I uninstalled Silverlight and the Win 7 uninstaller left two out of the six registry entries.  I ran CCleaner and it did not detect those two entries.  So I went into the registry and deleted the two entries.  All is okay.

• #2282786 Reply
                Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

What were the entries?
                Did they cause some problem that required you delete them?

cheers, Paul

• #2282855 Reply
                Charlie
                AskWoody Plus

They weren’t anything special, just plain old default on one and I forget what the other one was.  No, they weren’t causing any problems, just thought I’d get rid of all two of them.  This should conclude my report on the registry entries I’d have to track down and get rid of.  It wasn’t really a big deal.

• #2280165 Reply
        CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

I haven’t seen REVO uninstaller mentioned, that may be an option to get rid of Silverlight.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
        4 Win 10 Pro at 1909 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #2280177 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Find its directory and delete it. You don’t need special software to do that. Just point and click your way to “Programs” using whatever you like to find the program directories. It used to be Windows Explorer.

• #2280193 Reply
        Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus

I used REVO to uninstall Silverlight (it did show up in the list of installed programs), and I did tell REVO to delete any leftover files and registry entries, hence I was surprised to be offered that KB4481252 update later.  I searched the registry for any “Silverlight” entries (also SilverLight) but there weren’t any.  But I took a clue from Alex5723 in #2279816 above.  There was nothing in Program Files (x86), but sure enough, in C:\Users\USER\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Silverlight there was something.  In that Silverlight folder was a file called “mssl.lck” (77 bytes), and then another subfolder called “is”, which was empty.  So I have deleted the “Silverlight” folder, and will wait to see what happens.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004

• #2280415 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Silverlight has received a number of updates over many years, at a fairly low rate of roughly one update every other year. I know, because I have IE 11 in Win 7 and for years, so I needed to have Silverlight up and running properly to stream Netflix videos, as IE 11 for Win 7 does not have an HTML5 client. As it runs out of support in October, it is very unlikely it will receive yet another update. If this happened, all one needs to do is to deselect the update when updating Windows, and then hide it. As to making space in a disk that has either too little free space left or is a really small disk, deleting the Silverlight folder should clear most of it. I really don’t see the problem with just letting things be after that. I am willing bet whatever good reputation I may have left by now here that those Silverlight remains won’t bite.

Viewing 11 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Silverlight End of Support

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.