News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Silverlight to finally be put out of its misery…

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Silverlight to finally be put out of its misery…

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

October 12, 2021 marks the final death knell for the Microsoft ‘Flash-killer’ technology that failed to make any market impact.

Microsoft ends Silverlight support on October 12, 2021

1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
        AskWoody MVP

… that failed to make any market impact.

Any?

Microsoft Silverlight had a penetration of 64.2% in May 2011.

Silverlight was used to provide video streaming for the NBC coverage of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, and the 2008 conventions for both major United States political parties. Silverlight was also used by Amazon Video and Netflix for their instant video streaming services,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Silverlight#Adoption

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1263 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

GoneToPlaid
          AskWoody Plus

From a 2011 website which now is a security risk to visit. In the past decade, I have only come across one website which required Silverlight. And that was eight years ago.

Susan Bradley
        Manager

It remains to be seen if they will shoot out a removal tool like they did with Flash.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

b
          AskWoody MVP

Seems unlikely:

What happens on October 12, 2021?
          Will existing applications stop working?

Microsoft is not planning to take any specific action to terminate Silverlight applications. After this date, however, Silverlight will be in an unsupported state and will not receive any future quality or security updates.

Silverlight End of Support — Frequently Asked Questions

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1263 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

When I was using Windows 7, I needed to have Silverlight to stream video with IE 11, because Internet Explorer 11 for Win 7 did not had an HTML5 client. This did not happen until Win 8.1 came around, and some suspected it was a ploy to make win 7 users to jump ship to 8.1, later to Win 10. Such suspicions minds! But never mind that. The cold fact was that if you still used Internet Explorer 11 in Win 7 all the way to January 2020, so also still 100% supported (except for a thing like Silverlight, “unsupported” by lack of moral support), then you had to have Silverlight. And for the longest time this was the way to stream video for us Win 7 recalcitrants mainly because, as I seem to remember, Netflix did not offered HTML streaming for a long time after this became possible — at least to Win 7 people. (Some could clarify this last point?)

For reasons beyond my comprehension, when some people with Win 8.1 and 10 discovered, each in their own good time (when they got patches for it, mainly), that they had Silverlight there, no sooner they found this out, that they fervently wanted to get rid of it, generating numerous comments in various threads in AskWoody. They asked for advice, exchanged recipes to eliminate the thing, etc. Why not just leave it alone? It took a mere smidgen of computer memory and all it did was to just sit there, in its little folder, pondering its neglect.
        Now that they are, maybe, who knows?, going to receive a knife specially designed to first slaughter and then extirpate it, would the Silverlight worriers finally have closure? I doubt that: they’ll find something else to obsess about soon enough, just you wait.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-stream-forum/ie-11-on-windows-7-using-html5/m-p/158923

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Silverlight to finally be put out of its misery…

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.