News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • SimpliSafe Home Security System Unsafe?

Posted on HiFlyer Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Connected home / Internet of things Questions: Other home/IoT products SimpliSafe Home Security System Unsafe?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 8 months ago.

• Author

HiFlyer
      AskWoody Plus
        1. Popular home security system SimpliSafe can be easily disabled by burglars
        2. There’s no easy fix and systems need to be replaced, security researchers said.
        http://www.pcworld.com/article/3034956/hubs-controllers/popular-home-security-system-simplisafe-can-be-easily-disabled-by-burglars.html

by Lucian Constantine

“…the confirmation signal sent by the keypad to the base station when the correct PIN is entered can be sniffed and then later played back to disarm the system. Recovering the actual PIN is not necessary, since the “PIN entered” packet can be replayed as a whole.

This is possible because there is no cryptographic authentication between the keypad and the base station.”

“…the attack is inexpensive and can be implemented even by low-level attackers, especially if they pay someone else to build the sniffing device for them. To make matters worse, the manufacturer provides “Protected by SimpliSafe” warning signs that users can display on their windows or in their yards, inadvertently marking their homes as potential targets.”

Edited to remove HTML content

• #108918 Reply

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody_MVP

Look up the “HackRF” device some time. Note that it’s about $300 US, and can play back (transmit) as well as record signals.

-Noel

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #109067 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

I am very concerned that most people have no clue about the security risks inherent in these IoT devices. They choose to buy them simply because of ads, or because they see them at the hardware store, or because they heard some “expert” talk about how wonderful they are.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #329512 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Has anyone heard if these security issues with SimpliSafe have been resolved?

For my home security setup, I’m currently using a SmartThings hub, door and window sensors, the garage moisture sensor, plus a Dropcam Pro. I also have an indoor outlet on my office lamp, plus a couple of key fobs, but I don’t have the key fobs active at the moment.

I was also using a Temperature Humidity sensor (which I’ve removed), a Netamo Weather Station connected to SmartThings (which I’ve given away), an outdoor light plug for Christmas lights (which I’ve removed and will switch to an Apple HomeKit and Amazon Alexa version this year), and a couple of indoor light plugs for Christmas trees (which I unlinked from SmartThings and are using directly with Apple HomeKit and Amazon Alexa now). I’ll also likely replace my office lamp outlet with an outlet that works directly with Apple HomeKit and Amazon Alexa.

That leaves me to finding a replacement for my door/window sensors, Dropcam Pro, and garage moisture sensor.

I was considering SimpliSafe because of the advertisements. However, if there are major security risks with SimpliSafe, I’d reconsider.

There’s not a whole lot of “smart home” stuff I do. I have a few Amazon Echo devices for home automation, and I mainly use smart plugs for Christmas lights/Christmas trees, plus I like having my office lamp on one. So I’d rather keep my security system separate from any “smart home” stuff I do.

What I mainly need is a security system with solid door/window sensors, plus it would be nice to keep a security camera in my office where my tech equipment is, and a garage moisture sensor would be nice since my hot water heater tank has leaked. I’d like to pivot away from SmartThings and Dropcam Pro eventually for home security. Professional monitoring would be nice and save me on my insurance (since SmartThings and Dropcam Pro doesn’t count as full professional monitoring yet).

Have the issues been resolved enough with SimpliSafe yet, is there another national brand of home security that would be better, or should I go with a system from a local alarm company like many of my neighbor’s use? My home is wired for a current system, but lightning struck it and caused the alarm to go off (and I didn’t know the number of the installer), so I managed to get it to turn off, but I’m not sure if it’s still solid or if it’d need to be upgraded. I also no longer have a landline and would need something with cellular (preferably that uses Verizon since they have the most solid coverage here).

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: SimpliSafe Home Security System Unsafe?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.