News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Simplix Update pack installs ESU patches

Posted on georgea Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Win7 beyond End-of-life Simplix Update pack installs ESU patches

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by EP.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        georgea
        AskWoody Lounger

Altho there is a Simplix thread here: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/how-to-use-simplix-update-patch/ , I figured this was different enough to warrant its own topic.  For those looking for a way to install Win7 patches after last month (Jan 2020), the Simplix Update Pack will do that for you.  Yes, it’s Russian, but has been around several years, and has a Major Geeks download link that always has the most recent release: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/simplix_updatepack.html

I ran it on a Win7 Pro installation updated thru Jan 2020, and it installed the Feb. 2020 monthly rollup KB4537820, along with a few other older updates.  Note that the authors often release updates to a given month’s package that fix problems.  For February, I had to wait until the 3rd release on 2/21 (release 20.2.21) to get it to work right.  So like Woody’s advice, don’t jump to run it right away — wait for at least a week or 2 for the dust to settle.

Here are a few notes I made along the way.

NOTES:
        Does not include .Net Framework updates.  Get these from the update catalog.
        ==> Needs more than 10 GB free HDD space!
        Install log is at: C:\Windows\UpdatePack7.log

If it fails with “The system cannot find the path specified” [in install logfile], make sure all SSUs are installed, including
        2019-03 KB4490628
        2019-09 KB4516655
        2020-01 KB4536952
        along with SHA-2 2019-09 KB4474419

Do NOT install Feb2020 SSU – it breaks ESU bypass.  (I think)

• #2170185 Reply
        abbodi86
        AskWoody_MVP

– it use its own workaround to install ESU updates

– It does include updates for .Net 3.5 family (the KB4532945 is what actually used to bypass ESU check, i guess)

– It also install February SSU KB4537829

– The only issue, you must use Simplix pack each month to install ESU updates (e.g. download > 800 MB monthly)
        otherwise, installing new ESU updates manually will fail, unless you use another bypass ESU workaround

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Simplix Update pack installs ESU patches

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.