Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Since Jan 2018 update, HP laptop will not update

Posted on Faye CW 23 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1709 – Fall Creators Update Since Jan 2018 update, HP laptop will not update

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Faye CW 23 3 hours, 32 minutes ago.

• Author

Faye CW 23
      AskWoody Lounger

Woddy has been so kind as to help me. So far none of the things he’s told me has helped to get my laptop going on updates.
      He asked me to post here to see is any of you have ideas.

I’ve just continued to try to get it to update. Also removed a couple of cumulative updates from the list that have expired.   If the updates are there and downloaded where it says Microsoft installed updates, why or how do I get them to actually update ?  Attached a couple of pics. I know so little about this sort of thing.

Here is what Woody had me do and they are showing that they downloaded but has not updated.

Go to https://www.catalog.update.<wbr />microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=40<wbr />99989
      Click on the bottom Download button.
      Run the downloaded file.
      Then go to
      http://catalog.update.microsof<wbr />t.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=<wbr />KB4093112
      Click the next-to-the-last Download button.
      Run the downloaded file.
      Did that get you updated to 16299.371 ?

I can see the updates in the Microsoft updates list but they don’t appear to be actually updating. I admit, that I am not teck smart so this isn’t something I understand.

Screenshot-1

Screenshot-2

Clarissa Shepherd

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • #184948 Reply

fred
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi, perhaps silly to ask….. But have you tried the HP check installation option, its a part of HPservicetool the “lightblue circle with the white question-mark”?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #185103 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

In your second screenshot in your original post I see the March 2018 Cumulative Update KB4088776 waiting for a reboot to install. I also see the Feb 2018 Cumulative Update waiting a reboot to install. I see no indication that either one has failed. Updates cannot install unless the computer is rebooted (Start\Restart or reboot).

Have you rebooted your computer to complete the install?

• #185108 Reply

Faye CW 23
      AskWoody Lounger

I’ve done a restart many times. Don’t know how to reboot.  When I restart, its trying to load some that are no longer offered by Microsoft so it says its unable to complete update. I have no idea how to remove the ones that are outdated and didn’t load so the new ones Woody had me to download will actually update to my laptop.

Clarissa Shepherd

Attachments:
      • #185153 Reply

Cascadian
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi Faye CW 23, it is true that ‘boot’ and ‘reboot’ can have different modifiers to describe different methods, i.e. cold, soft, hard, rude, &c. Please know that when you have restarted, you have rebooted. Except if you are new to Win 10, and have a confusion that I have seen in others, where you interpret ‘standby and waking’ as ‘shutdown and starting’.

I do not think that is the case, because you go on to describe a failed update loop. The good news is, Win10 gets to a working desktop for you. The bad news is it does not give a clear message of the failure, nor direction to resolve.

Please wait for someone more familiar with Win10 to give better direction. But in the meantime look over MrBrian’s AKB2000009, it was written for repairing failed updates that would not allow the desktop to display at all. But it is where I learned more about the command ‘dism’ and the ability to ‘revertpendingactions’; steps 2 thru 5 in that article. This cancels future attempts to install the same flawed update every time you restart. Interrupting the loop, and allowing the system to revert to its former condition, before the flawed update started to install. Afterwards, you will need to get better update directions; so that you do not return to this same condition again.

If you are comfortable with command prompts, MrBrian’s article will get you on your way. But your post reads as needing more step by step that a Win10 user could give you better than I. Also since you have a working desktop, there may be a more simple approach that does not require command line interface at all. I am a Win7 user, so may not give appropriate step by step in the Win10 environment.

Please, another Lounger, does this look appropriate or is there a point and click method to get the same result?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #185157 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Lounger

The update error code which Faye CW 23 has is:

0x800706BE -2147023170 RPC_S_CALL_FAILED

• #185158 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Lounger

I’ve done a restart many times. Don’t know how to reboot. When I restart, its trying to load some that are no longer offered by Microsoft so it says its unable to complete update. I have no idea how to remove the ones that are outdated and didn’t load so the new ones Woody had me to download will actually update to my laptop.

Hello Clarissa,

I figure that you tried clicking on the gray Restart button shown below the three lines of red text which are shown in your posted screenshot?

Best regards,

–GTP

• #185163 Reply

Faye CW 23
        AskWoody Lounger

GoneToPlaid  Yes I’ve tried many times to click the gray restart section. It restarts and then come back as could not complete update. Thank you so much.

Clarissa Shepherd

• #185162 Reply

Faye CW 23
      AskWoody Lounger

Cascadian – Thank you so so much for going into all of this detail. I will look into this and see what I can understand. I have a Windows 7 and this laptop I’m using is a windows 10 and fairly new. I prefer the old Windows 7.

Faye CW

Clarissa Shepherd

• #185164 Reply

Cascadian
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for the nod. And your doing the right thing. It is either get comfortable with Win10 or leave Windows altogether eventually. I just haven’t done it myself yet. Stick with GonetoPlaid, for more directions.

• #185165 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi Faye CW 23,

I Googled the Windows Update error code 0x800706BE, and supposedly the Windows Update Troubleshooter will identify and resolve the problem which you are having. The upshot is that the Windows Update Troubleshooter will either fix the issue or it will not. Yet let’s try it. Here is the link for it:

Windows Update Troubleshooter

Download it and run it. Hopefully it will resolve your issue.

Best regards,

–GTP

• #185559 Reply

Faye CW 23
      AskWoody Lounger

GoneToPlaid
      Thank you so much. Woody had me do this but I’ll give it another try.  I see on my snapshot that an update to
      Adobe flash player added on 4/10/18 so it must have added when my laptop was not in use. If that added I wonder why the updates Woody had me to download will not update. I have them in my Microsoft  installed downloads as in this snap shot but I don’t know how to get them to update instead of all the outdated updates, my laptop continues to try to add. If they are outdated, it can’t add them so how can I add the ones I downloaded. If you look at the download snap shot its KB4099989 and KB4093112
      I want to thank you so much.  I’ve been watching videos and doing everything I can since the beginning of Feb to resolve this.

Screenshot-4-1

Edit to remove HTML: Please use the ‘text’ tab in the post entry box when you copy/paste.

Clarissa Shepherd

• This reply was modified 3 days, 5 hours ago by  Faye CW 23.
      • This reply was modified 3 days, 5 hours ago by  Faye CW 23.
      • This reply was modified 3 days, 5 hours ago by  Microfix.
      • This reply was modified 3 days, 5 hours ago by  Microfix.
      Attachments:
      • #185966 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Lounger

Hello Clarissa,

I sincerely apologize that I haven’t had any time until now to try to further help you, as I am knee deep in alligators at work. I don’t use Windows 10, yet I did some Googling about your specific issue with regards to the 2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4088776).

It turns out that a lot of people are having issues with KB4088776. I found this out by Googling (without quotes) “kb4088776 will not install”. Check out the Google results:

kb4088776 will not install

The first link for the above Google search took me to what may resolve your issue. The first link takes you to this page which is Page 1 of a three page thread on tenforums.com:

Windows 10: Windows Update does not install KB4088776 on my computer

Go to Page 3 for the above forum post, or simply click on the following link which will take you to Page 3:

Windows 10: Windows Update does not install KB4088776 on my computer (page 3)

In the above page, there is a link posted my mrgeek. His link takes you to the following page:

Windows 10: KB4093112 We couldn’t finish the updates reverting changes

The above linked web page basically explains a method which should resolve your problem. Again, I am not a Windows 10 expert. Thus I have no way to either test or comment about the possible solution. And I figure that you will need additional help and instructions from the Windows 10 experts here on this remarkably grand AskWoody forum to assist you in performing the possible solution which is described in the above link.

I documented, step by step, how I discovered what may be the possible solution for Clarissa’s issue with trying to get KB4088776 to install. I did this for a reason: Because other error codes, associated with failed installs of KB4088776 have been also reported by other Windows 10 users, along with the same repeated KB4088776 installation attempts which Clarissa has reported.

And now I humbly ask the Windows 10 experts here on AskWoody.com to review all of the above, and to offer advice and help to Clarissa, since all of us are here to both learn and to help one another out.

Best regards,

–GTP

• #186313 Reply

Faye CW 23
          AskWoody Lounger

GoneToPlaid, oh I’m just so grateful for any help. There’s certainly no need to apologize for doing your work.  I understand. Thank you for all the effort you did to look all this research.  I have an old Windows 7 and like it better but it no longer updates. A teck person told me Windows 7 was no longer equipped to handle updates so I got the new windows 10.  Its been nothing but trouble.   I’ll give some of this a try and again, thank you so very much.

Clarissa Shepherd

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Since Jan 2018 update, HP laptop will not update

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.