News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Size of W10 features updates

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update Size of W10 features updates

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

lena
      AskWoody Lounger

I’m currently using W7 and looking to get a new machine with 1903 already on it. My only internet connection is through mobile broadband capped at 20gb a month. In that, I can handle security updates, but how big are the features update downloads:

• through windows update
      • through update assistant

Also you recommend to take a copy of 1903 for a rainy day. How big would this copy + creation tool be? If I take regular system image backups with Macrium Reflect, would this do instead, as it would save data usage?

Many thanks

• #2005558 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

I’m going to make some very rough guesses here.
      Monthly updates (CU, SSU, .NET, IEFlash, etc) will run somewhere under 500MB through Windows Update.
      If you download the ISO for each new version, the ISOs run 4-4.5 GB for 64-bit.

You need to account for the bandwith that the OS and programs use just running on top of that. There will be your usage and program updates. There is a lot of telemetry built into Win10, the “Store” apps (UWP Apps) update frequently, and there is background refresh on all apps by default. You should make it a point to get the Pro version instead of Home in order to have more control over updating, and Metered connections will be a “must.”

• #2005862 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

what edition of Windows 7 are you running, lena?

type winver.exe in the run dialog box to show the Win7 version & edition (it will say something like either Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate)

if you are upgrading from Win7 to Win10, you can only upgrade to “like” editions:

ex. Win7 Pro or Ultimate > Win10 Pro
      Win7 Home > Win10 Home

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  EP.
      • #2005864 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

looking to get a new machine with 1903 already on it

I think it will be a now machine, not an upgrade.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Size of W10 features updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.