News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Slide shows

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Slide shows

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mn– 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

TedJ
      AskWoody Lounger

I took a 2 hour train journey to a place where I knew there was a bookshop with a good choice of books on computing. I wanted a comprehensive book on Windows 10.

I found only one book on Windows 10, Windows10 for Dummies. A massive tome. Surely this would tell me everything I might want to know so I bought it. What a disappointment!

I have a large collection of pictures so, as a test, I looked in the index for “Slide show” (or “Slideshow”). Nothing there. Windows 10 has two ways of getting a slide show, both of them with issues.

In File Explorer Picture Tools | Slide Show will give you a show. It has a good set of right click options. I use Shuffle quite a lot. The one thing it lacks is Open with… so, if I see a picture I want to edit, hard luck. There is no way of getting to it.

The other way to get to a slide show is to open a picture with Photos. This program needs a lot more development but at least the right click menu has “Slideshow”. This has none of the options the other show had. Pictures are displayed in filename order. Large pictures are shrunk to fit the screen but smaller ones are not expanded so I shall have to resize all my small ones.

Can you think of a workaround? As always with Windows you only discover its capabilities by accident (that’s why I wanted a book) so maybe there’s something there that I haven’t stumbled upon.

• #1795350 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

This is where people traditionally install a better image viewer / slideshow application. There are good ones available for free.

• #1804107 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

As mn— says. I’ve used IrfanView for this for decades—simple but with lots of options. These 10yo instructions still look applicable:

Text: How to Create a Slideshow Using IrfanView;

Video: Create a slideshow with IrfanView.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #1806041 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

… lots of alternatives and choosing the optimal one is a bit of a challenge, so most settle for good enough 😉

IrfanView is considered a good one, yes, as is FastStone… but both are only free for home / non-commercial use. Same with XnView.

And notably for large collections, you might prefer to have a proper collection management application instead of just a viewer. There’s several of those too.

Of viewers, one that has a distinct feature set is the one in the Chasys Draw suite. Its user interface is … hm, let’s say idiosyncratic … but at least at some point it was the only free viewer for some specific image formats – and it’s free for business use too.

• #1804838 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

You might also take a look at FastStone Image Viewer, which will allow you to organize and browse your images, as well as edit them.

It also can create slideshows, with transitional effects and music…

Free… for home users.

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Slide shows

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.