News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Slow AT&T WiFi

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Slow AT&T WiFi

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Steven
        AskWoody Plus

I’m working with two older Windows 10 laptops with 802.11n WiFi. For test purposes I avoid range issues by sitting next the router. With the AT&T Pace Plc 5268AC both computers cannot top 40ish Mbps down. In another home, a Comcast router routinely sees 98+ Mbps down (that location has 100 Mbps service). The only difference is the router–is the 5268AC junk, or is something else going on? (I’ve looked at channel selection, but that doesn’t seem to help.)

Beyond sorting out the 5268AC performance, any useful advice would be helpful. In real use, speed falls off quickly at rather modest distances. Moving the router is not practical, but hardware to extend the range is possible (I’ve not kept up on the latest goodies).

Bob99
        AskWoody Plus

The 5268AC is listed as a modem and router for AT&T’s U-Verse service. That’s another name for their higher speed DSL offering that came before their fiber offering.

DSL speeds are directly dependent on your distance from the central office for your area and what speed you’ve been offered. The closer you are to your central office, the higher speeds you can be offered and attain.

The Comcast address per your own admission has 100Mbps service, but cable-based internet access is different than DSL internet access. What minimum speed have you been guaranteed by AT&T? That will, in turn help give folks here some insight as to what could be slowing you down.

The specs for the 5268AC indicate that it’s capable of gigabit speeds, so I doubt that’s your problem without knowing other things about your particular setup.

Many other factors could also be coming into play for two places so close to each other but having very different download speeds, such as location of the selected speed test server. Pick a server on the other side of the country and you’ll get a slower result than selecting a server that within 15-20 miles of your location.

Try connecting your two computers directly to the 5268AC via an Ethernet Cat 6 cable to see what kind of speeds you get from that kind of connection. If the speeds are within a few percentage points of the wireless speeds, then it could be that your download speed has been capped by AT&T for some reason.

It’s difficult to compare cable-based access with DSL-based access, because cable-based access has traditionally had higher download speeds than DSL, but cable does have its drawbacks compared to DSL. That’s a topic for another thread, though, not this one.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Bob99.
        Steven
        AskWoody Plus

The home with AT&T has 75 Mbps down service. With a wired connection, the PC sees 75ish Mbps down. Moments later, on WiFi, sitting a few feet from the router, the same speedtest server is only 40ish Mbps.

The Comcast test was to demonstrate that the PCs being used, with older 802.11n hardware, has no trouble performing at 100 Mbps with a different router. This appears to isolate the slow performance to the 5268AC end of the WiFi connection.

I’m aware of the next issue–decreased speed with distance between the router and PC. Right now I’m looking to get the best-case WiFi speed, which can only help improve the expected decreased speed from further away.

Ascaris
          AskWoody MVP

The home with AT&T has 75 Mbps down service. With a wired connection, the PC sees 75ish Mbps down. Moments later, on WiFi, sitting a few feet from the router, the same speedtest server is only 40ish Mbps.

That’s the important bit right there.

You have narrowed the problem down to the connection between the router and the client PCs via wifi. It does not mean the router is good or bad, only that something in that connection is not working as it should. It may or may not be the router.

What is the reported connect speed of the wifi connection to the router from either client? Which frequency band and channel are selected? Is the problem consistent, or is it faster at some times and slower at others?

Finally, what is the model of the wifi adapters in the client PCs?

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.1 User Edition)

Steven
            AskWoody Plus

The link speed listed on “Wireless Network Connection/Properites” is 87 Mbps. Is that the number you wanted?

Both PCs are 802.11n at 2.4 GHz. The AT&T router is using channel 6.

The problem is consistent, the best I’ve seen sitting a few feet from the router is 40ish Mbps.

The WiFi adapters are:
            Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200, 2×2 BGN
            Intel Centrino Wireless-N 6150, WiMax 6150

Thanks!

anonymous

Disable IPv6 in the wifi card hardware properties page

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I would test the connection internally rather than to the internet. Run the test on wifi and ethernet.

Try LANBench for a simple test – you run a copy on each machine.
        For a more detailed view, Tamosoft Throughput Test.

cheers, Paul

Steven
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the advice offered here. Nevertheless, nothing seemed to help. Given the age of the PC and its WiFi hardware, I surrendered. An unused telephone line in the room happened to be using CAT 5 and it was easily repurposed to a wired connection.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Slow AT&T WiFi

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.