News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Slow file copy

Home Forums AskWoody blog Slow file copy

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

I’m setting up a new Server 2019 with HyperV and I’m reminded of something I did on the LAST Server 2019 that I set up. I disable RSS on the server  b
        [See the full post at: Slow file copy]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Simon_Weel
        AskWoody Plus

Do you disable RSS on the host of guest? Or both?

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

The article says “on the server, not on workstations”.
          Is that what you were asking?

cheers, Paul

Simon_Weel
            AskWoody Plus

“setting up a new Server 2019 with HyperV” is a bit ambiguous. Is this a Hyper-V 2019 server with Server 2019 guests? So I wonder if RSS has to be disabled on the host, guest or both. And more important, does it actually make a difference?

Casey S
          AskWoody Plus

Exactly.  The blurb was a bit short on details.  Did Susan mean the changes should be made on the Hyper-V host, or the Hyper-V guest(s), or both?

Simon_Weel
        AskWoody Plus

I did some searching about RSC and RSS and as always, it’s pretty complicated. This article explains what to do to optimize network settings like RSS for Server 2016. And under the heading ‘Virtual Machine Queuing’ is states RSS is disabled on the Hyper-V host by default. So I checked this (get-netadapterrss) and it isn’t. At least not on my Hyper-V host. The rest of the article is too technical for me…

techweenie
        AskWoody Lounger

RSS hasn’t been a problem in years.  I believe some early Broadcom chipsets had issues with it, but nothing recent that I’m aware of.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Slow file copy

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.