News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Slow shutdown after April Win7 updates on 2 machines

Posted on SilenceIsG0lden Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches Slow shutdown after April Win7 updates on 2 machines

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    • This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        SilenceIsG0lden
        AskWoody Plus

I know, we should’ve tested it all right away, but real life interrupted. So we only realized over the weekend that the win7 April updates (via “unofficial” ESU as supported by this board) resulted in immense slowdown during shutdown, i.e. up to 10 minutes.

One system is a dual-boot PC (with Linux now being the main OS), Win7 Home and the other is a Win7 Home Pro HP laptop which usually shuts down in about 3 seconds, due to its configuration (SSD, massive RAM, etc.).

I don’t have the time or nerves to troubleshoot this problem, but wonder if anyone has seen a similar result and/or if it’s been fixed with the May update. I haven’t had luck trying to find any info on this, so I’d be grateful if anyone could help.

(Please don’t recommend the usual troubleshooting tips or reverting the update; I have all of those in my back pocket, just no time right now, as I mentioned.)

Of note might be that we have AVG Internet Security on both systems. In case there’s a known problem there. That’s the only other software common on both systems, except for the OS.

THANK YOU in advance!

• #2268476 Reply
        Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

Not sure if this is the exact same thing you experienced, but this afternoon when I installed the April patches using @abbodi86‘s method, the computer remained stuck on “Configuring Updates” for well over half an hour, which is not something I remember seeing before.

Eventually I got tired of waiting, and turned the laptop off. Had to keep the power button pressed for several seconds, as a simple push would merely put the laptop into and then back out of sleep. Then when it at last really turned off, upon manual reboot it went to the login screen, then after login soon rebooted again on its own and “configured” for a few more seconds. The April patches are now listed as installed.

Hope this helps in identifying the problem.

• #2268776 Reply
        SilenceIsG0lden
        AskWoody Plus

Thank you, Cybertooth, for your response. And for making me realize I didn’t word my post quite the right way: our slow shutdown is now always; it wasn’t just during installing the updates.  I can deal with a one-time slow shutdown and, frankly, don’t really care how long my PC takes to shut down, because I just walk away. But my wife is ready to chuck her previously super speedy, quite new laptop out the window.

I’ve been checking the eventviewer and can see that there are quite a few Windows programs hanging for about 3 minutes (esp. explorer and lsass.exe), so I guess I’ll set the weekend aside for this less than pleasant hunt for a solution.

(I wish she could switch to Linux Mint, too, because that is so refreshingly simply working for me! I hadn’t realized there’s an OS out there that actually lets you do things instead of making itself the thing you have to spend/waste time on…)

• #2268941 Reply
        anonymous

Mine was slow to shut down for a while but slowly improved to near normal now. It could be other programs have updated and solved the issue or the fact Im using firefox mostly now from explorer

• #2269239 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I had slow shutdown the other day after connecting a new USB device. Remove all your USB devices, except keyboard/mouse and test.

cheers, Paul

• #2269387 Reply
        SilenceIsG0lden
        AskWoody Plus

Well… thanks all for your input. Good news: the May updates didn’t make it worse! 🙂

After analyzing the shutdown process I found the culprit: Turns out it was that darn AVG + AVG TuneUp. Kicked TuneUp off the system and was half-way there. Completely un- and reinstalled AVG and that did it.

In case anyone’s wondering: I’m ready to get rid of AVG — I have still 2 years on a license, but it was on sale, so maybe the savings aren’t worth the grey hairs I get! It used to already be a drag on the system last year, but methinks they’ve switched focus to Win10 and don’t give a toss about its performance on Win7 anymore. (I have the super-duper level, can’t recall what’s it called; am currently on my Linux Mint boot which just makes me happy because there’s no drag. :))

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Slow shutdown after April Win7 updates on 2 machines

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.