News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Sluggish Laptop

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        WSjcgc50
        AskWoody Lounger

Windows 10 64 bit version 21h1 with 1TB SSD and 12GB ram. Intel i5. This is a Dell laptop that is a 2014 vintage. I use Defender and Malwarebytes Premium.

Approximately 72 hours ago web pages became very slow to load and it became slower to restart or come out of hibernation. I have two laptops and two android phones on a home wifi network with download speeds of 150 to 200mbps. Speed tests on the phones and other laptop confirm that but starting 3 days ago this one shows approx 40mbps which should be fine for what I’m doing but it runs like I’m always taking a Windows Update download in the background.

Comparing task manager on both laptops the other actually has higher memory usage. CPU usage is normal and running a ping test shows a median 0f 27ms.

According to the device manager, the wifi adapter is working properly and no new driver is available.

I’ve run the DISM tool and SFC and no problems were found. I’ve restarted numerous times.

A deep scan with MWB doesn’t reveal any malware issues.

I’ve made sure everything is up to date with Windows and not added new software.

I’m out of ideas.

b
        AskWoody MVP

If the main issue is slow web pages, perhaps you should compare browser and DNS settings?

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1237 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

WSjcgc50
        AskWoody Lounger

If the main issue is slow web pages, perhaps you should compare browser and DNS settings?

I use Chrome on both and settings and DNS are the same. It also isn’t limited to web pages. The computer seems slowed down in boot up too although the web is where I notice it the most.

Based on speed tests I shouldn’t really be seeing this effect and prior to 3 days ago speed tests on the problem computer were showing the same readings as the other three devices. Even typing text in Gmail lagged. I could type a couple of lines of text before the first character would appear.

WSjcgc50
        AskWoody Lounger

Here is a bit of information that I forgot and not sure what that might tell anyone. A couple of days ago I was on a video meeting via Google Meets. As soon as I logged on a message popped up that I had an unstable network connection. It happened again during the meeting.

I have been on lots of video meetings with this laptop with a 40-45mpbs connection and not had a problem.

I’m wondering if this indicates a network adapter problem but have nothing else to support that and don’t know how else to test is short of buying a USB Wifi adapter to test.

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Can you test with an ethernet connection?

WSjcgc50
        AskWoody Lounger

Can you test with an ethernet connection?

Good suggestion but none available here.

johnf
        AskWoody Lounger

You can try the following (as always, make a backup of your data before making changes):

1. Check and see if Windows updated your network driver. You can look at the properties in Device Manager, and see if there was a previous driver there . If so, you can roll it back and then test the network connection again. If that does not work, you can try installing the latest driver from Dell for your network card, and see if that resolves the network problem. You can always roll back to the Windows driver if there’s an issue.
        2. If that does not work, download a live Linux iso, and burn it to a spare flash drive using Rufus (https://rufus.ie/en_US/). I would suggest either Linux Mint or MX Linux iso’s. Once you create the live USB drive, make sure your PC can boot from the USB (you may have to make the USB drive the primary boot drive in the bios, or use one of the function keys to direct boot to the USB). You are NOT going to install Linux, just test your network connection (you can open up Firefox or use the package installer, usually Synaptic, to install Chrome) using Speedtest or other testing sites first, then some web surfing. This will bypass Windows and directly test the network card. Once you’re done testing, shut down the PC, and remove the Live USB. You will then be able to reboot into Windows.
        3. If you still have issues with the network using the Linux Live USB, you may have a hardware problem with the network card (there are plenty of good wireless dongles on Amazon).
        4. Still having problems? Well, you could try running Malwarebytes and a full anti-virus scan, and see if you’re infected. Check and see if you’re running more than one anti-virus (not recommended). Also, you could try uninstalling any third party anti virus and just use Defender (if you have McAfee, you have to download software from their website to get it all out). If your pc has a ton of malware/viruses, I’d go to #6.
        5. At this point, if nothing works, then I would suspect there’s an issue with your SSD. They don’t last forever. If it’s older than 3-4 years, I would make multiple backups of data, favorites, etc, replace the SSD with a new one, and put in a fresh STANDARD install of Windows 10 (not the crummy bloatware restore Dell has). Since you’ve had W10 on the pc before, you shouldn’t need to worry about the license.
        6. If you don’t want to replace the SSD, or it’s not that old, you could try resetting your copy of Windows 10 to factory defaults. Again, make SURE you have multiple backups!!! (and copies of any third party software for re-installing!!!), since you will have to set up everything again.

Good luck!

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Sluggish Laptop

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.