News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • So, how do you like Mint 20 “Ulyana”?

Posted on OscarCP Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems Linux – all distros So, how do you like Mint 20 “Ulyana”?

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 weeks ago.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

OK, Mint 20 is out and even has a name: “Ulyana” What is an Ulyana? Well, let’s ponder this question as it deserves to be pondered.

While we do that and to keep going, not waiting until that tricky question is authoritatively answered: now it is a time when reviews are coming out and, I hope, some of those interested in this variant of LINUX might also contribute here information and comments on what to make of this new version of Mint.

For a start, here are two opinions, mainly on the GUI:

One positive:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/03/linux-mint-20-release-features

Another… not so sure about that:

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-mint-ulyana-xfce.html

As to my own opinion,? Well, as far as the Desktop goes, it is a primal scream of overwhelming delight: the fractional adjustment of the icons and other objects shown on screen is now a reality!

Next stop: your own contributed wisdom.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• This topic was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by OscarCP.
        2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2279071 Reply
        HiFlyer
        AskWoody Plus

“OK, Mint 20 is out and even has a name: “Ulyana” What is an Ulyana? Well, let’s ponder this question as it deserves to be pondered.”

This site covers the name extensively

https://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/girl/ulyana

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2279297 Reply
        Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

So far, it’s quite good.

Just got done upgrading my G3 from 19.3 to 20, and it’s working nicely.

All of the older versions of Mint Cinnamon I used had severe performance problems enumerating certain directories containing many (tens of thousands) image files, using the file manager, Nemo, a thing that KDE’s Dolphin handles like it’s nothing. Even Windows 7 had problems with the NTFS versions of these folders, sometimes hanging a minute before it would let me see the directory contents.

The issue in Mint Cinnamon 19.x and older probably had to do with the generation of image thumbnails, which for some reason it apparently prioritized above letting me actually view any of the images. There is still a tiny bit of a delay, but it’s no longer a huge issue. Now it’s less than Windows 7 made me wait, by far.  It’s a huge improvement.  I’d seen the changes that were coming in the upcoming Cinnamon version when it was in the tech websites some months ago, and I wanted to see if it would address the problem I had. I’ve only used it a little bit, but it seems that the problem is mostly solved now.

The rest of things are just working smoothly, and it feels quite responsive and snappy. No problems so far, though my beloved Pulseaudio-equalizer no longer works (not the one in the Ubuntu repo, even though it has the same name). I already knew that was going to be the case from trying it in Kubuntu 20.04, though. Soon Neon will rebase to 20.04 also, and I will have to find a replacement for the equalizer.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.19.4).

• #2279299 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

The frequency equalizer: finding one never has been easy for me, whether it was for Windows or for the Mac. One has to be lucky enough to get in touch with someone that knows of an application for this that works well for one’s particular OS. Anyone who knows of good frequency response equalizers for Mint 20 is most welcome to share their wisdom with the rest of us here.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: So, how do you like Mint 20 “Ulyana”?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.