News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • So what next for Outlook 2013 .bak files recovery and import?

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 2013 for PC So what next for Outlook 2013 .bak files recovery and import?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  b 5 days, 4 hours ago.

• Author

Razz
      AskWoody Plus

Hi folks,

I am using Outlook 2013 as part of Office Home and Business 2013 on Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1.

I will be replacing Win 7 shortly but am cleaning things up before the upgrade.

I have a few large archive files and a .bak file that was created last year that is more than twice the size of the archive files, that I wanted to tidy up. I generated the multiple archive files on different drives because of space constraints. As this process did not impact, to an unmanageable extent, my retrieval of archived messages I did not address its existance at the time (time pressure and all that).

I wanted to assess whether the .bak file had any archived messages I wanted to keep, so the question is how to do that. It should be possible to import the file and have duplicates deleted.

Following the msn advice:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-Outlook-Data-Files-pst-and-ost-25663bc3-11ec-4412-86c4-60458afc5253

and specifically “Recover items from the backup (.bak) file” I have used the Inbox Repair tool (SCANPST.EXE) on the .bak file and repaired it I renamed it *.bak.pst and tried to Import it but get a message that it is not recognised as a .pst file.

So what should I do next?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• #2001077 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Try renaming it without the double extension? (Just a wild guess.)

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: So what next for Outlook 2013 .bak files recovery and import?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.