News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • So What’s The Current Wisdom on Win10-2004?

Posted on Getananswer Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 So What’s The Current Wisdom on Win10-2004?

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 reply threads
    • Author
        Getananswer
        AskWoody Plus

For those of us who followed Woody’s exhortations to avoid downloading and installing Windows 2004, is it still on the “delay” list or can we safely allow it to install and be over and done with it?

I have to ask this since Woody has departed the scene for hopefully happier digital and realistic places.

PKCano
        Da Boss

We are still recommending v1909 and waiting on v2004 for a while longer.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        CBA
        AskWoody Plus

We are still recommending v1909 and waiting on v2004 for a while longer.

With your wisdom, what are “we” waiting for?  Is there a summary list and/or link to what’s still problematic with 2004?

I just updated from 1809 to 2004 19041.630 (online), which was swift and unproblematic, in my case.  I am still looking out for issues and have found a couple of minor one.  So, a listing of what to look for may be helpful.  Thanks.

geekdom
          AskWoody Plus
          BetaTest {Got backup and coffee}
          offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender TRV=1909 WuMgr
          offline▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.685 x86 Atom N270 RAM2GB HDD WindowsDefender WuMgr GuineaPigVariant
          online▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.746 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox85.0b9 WindowsDefender TRV=2004 WuMgr
          CBA
        CBA
        AskWoody Plus

You may want to read here:

https://www.askwoody.com/2020/time-to-wrap-up-november-updating-no-bow-required/

Thanks for the pointer, but I did that already.  I get the Newsletter by email.

I’m obviously in a slightly different situation upgrading from 1809 (EOS).  For me 1909 would have been an intermediate upgrade I didn’t want-need.  So I gambled on 2004.

SB’s warnings don’t apply to my ThinkCentre M920s (Realtek Audio and M2. SSD).

PFC
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 2004, is it still on the “delay” list or can we safely allow it to install and be over and done with it?

I would say “WAIT”
        I manage (assist) friends and family with their PCs so I bit the bullet and updated my rather simple setup to follow the effects.
        Widely reported Network connection, and Credential Manager issues appeared and continue into 20H2.
        For those that have simpler setups (single home computer) I observed no show stopping issues and updated them along the way.
        Good luck with your decision.

Robert
        AskWoody Plus

I was recently forced to move from 1909 to 2004 not by MS but by a corrupted mbr. I had fortunately taken Woody’s advice to save a clean iso of 2004 (64bit) from the MS web site so was able to re-install after booting from the USB stick. Sure it was a bit of a taradiddle re-installing my apps but all my personal stuff was safely backed up.

As far as glitches with 2004 are concerned, I have noticed none at all despite running a nine year old system albeit with a newish SSD.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Robert.
          Linda2019
          AskWoody Plus

I also saved an ISO file.  I  just checked my new Windows 10 version number for the 2004  and the version on the screen says 19041.630.  The ISO file I saved in September says  19041.450.

Are your version numbers the same for both the downloaded version and the previously saved ISO file?

rebop2020
        AskWoody Plus

I have (and have posted) the same question. I am being offered 2004 now. I assume at sometime that will change to 20H2 so this might be a small window. I saw Susan said waiting on Conextent issue. But I do not have Conextent. So I am waiting because….?

I’d really prefer not to update, but if inevitable.

PS. New user. What happened to Woody?

PPS: Just hid drivers in Windows Update GPEDIT. Are there never drivers offered up I would want or need?

Susan Bradley
          Da Boss

Woody is in Thailand traveling and visiting relatives and is semi retired.  I say semi because I’m still wanting him to come back every now and then for a guest post.  As to 20h2 it’s a definite no.  1909 is a definite yes.  2004 is a … well they just fixed the thunderbolt ssd issue.  1909 is supported through May of 2021 so there’s still time to hold back.  If you are on it and have no issues, wonderful.  Given that Microsoft goes on holiday during the month of December (or nearly everyone does) I’m leaning more towards giving the all clear in January.

I prefer to get drivers from the vendor site (old school)

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

rebop2020
            AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the reply.

I am on 1909. Only a few negligible issues all posted here in the last few days. I have the 2004 Feature Update hidden so “assume” at sometime that will disappear and I will be offered 20H2 and lose the opportunity to update to 2004 and postpone 20H2. If that is not true, then I shall sit tight. Did not understand if there is a good time to grab 2004 before I cannot.

I did mention in another thread that each Feature Update changes things I do not wish changed. My checklist is about 60 items. 1909 changed 26 of them – from changed icons to disabling System Restore to….. So I am in no rush. And then there is IOS 14 which is as bad as Win 10 Updates that I postpone. And the “new” Facebook. Too much to research, decide, update or postpone.  Can;t decide if IO am a user or personal IT dept.

And on the drivers question…are there never drivers that are available from Windows Update I would want? I do not have the “optional downloads” feature – I just hide the ones that do not seems valuable. But what I am reading is just block em and if anything is ever needed in the future I will know it. Yes?

Paul T
              AskWoody MVP

are there never drivers that are available from Windows Update I would want?

Nope. Too many bad drivers sent out by MS.

If you are not having hardware issues there is no reason to update drivers.
              As always, checking the computer manufacturers web site for drivers will provide info on urgent issues.

cheers, Paul

agoldhammer
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve been on 2004 for a month now on my Win10 Pro workstation and it works fine.  My wife’s PC was updated the same day and it’s an older home build with just 8GB RAM running off of Intel integrated graphic on an i3 CPU.  No driver issues or program problems on either machine.  We have 20H2 deferred for now.

PFC
          AskWoody Plus

My wife’s PC was updated the same day and it’s an older home build with just 8GB RAM running off of Intel integrated graphic on an i3 CPU.

are you able to communicate between the two computers ie share data using File Explorer

Linda2019
        AskWoody Plus

2004 feature update was just forced on my PC.

It was offered for a while , but i didn’t click the download button .  I thought that if I didn’t click on download.. I would be fine.   It didnt work.  I removed the pause on updates to get the November updates installed and 2004 feature update simply started to download.  I am peeved.

When I started my PC tonight a strange screen popped up (see photo) and I didn’t know what to make of it … I thought maybe my system crashed, but now I realize it has to do with the 2004 feature update.

Attachments:
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Looks like a new profile with that screen. Is your data still where you expect?

cheers, Paul

Susan Bradley
            Da Boss

That’s not a new profile and it’s just the normal “hey I have new settings I want to make sure you see” screen.  You should be able to click skip and go on.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

b
              AskWoody Plus

On that “Let’s finish setting up your device” screen just “Remind me later” or “Continue”.

But Microsoft says you can disable it at Start, Settings, System, Notifications & actions, Notifications, by clearing the checkbox next to Suggest ways I can finish setting up my device to get the most out of Windows:

Turn off notifications about device setup

Same advice with screenshots here:

Windows 10 login nag screen – Let’s finish setting up your device

PFC
                AskWoody Plus

On that “Let’s finish setting up your device” screen just “Remind me later” or “Continue”.

But Microsoft says you can disable it at Start, Settings, System, Notifications & actions, Notifications, by clearing the checkbox next to Suggest ways I can finish setting up my device to get the most out of Windows:

Turn off notifications about device setup

Same advice with screenshots here:

Windows 10 login nag screen – Let’s finish setting up your device

If you clicked “remind me later” wait until it does that,
                then use continue or next, just to get by each of the five
                things they’re pushing, and it will finish with something
                to the effect, that it’s all yours.
                or
                as you suggested, uncheck one or more of the boxes in settings.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by PFC.
                2 users thanked author for this post.
              doriel
              AskWoody Lounger

I think there should be more information about “whats new”. I think its very usefull to let people know, what new functions were added, or what changed, people will be happy if you tell them whats new 🙂

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Linda2019
            AskWoody Plus

Paul, what data in particular are you referring to?  What should I be looking for?

PFC
          AskWoody Plus

When I started my PC tonight a strange screen popped up (see photo) and I didn’t know what to make of it … I thought maybe my system crashed, but now I realize it has to do with the 2004 feature update.

just tab through that new screen, it’s trying to add you through things like onedrive and office 365, if you don’t want them just skip through

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I have the 2004 Feature Update hidden so “assume” at sometime that will disappear and I will be offered 20H2 and lose the opportunity to update to 2004 and postpone 20H2

There is not much difference between 2004 and 20H2. Both get the same updates (just like 1903 > 1909).

Updating from 2004 to 20H2 takes a couple of minutes. There isn’t even a new Windows.old file.

CBA
        AskWoody Plus

I recently updated from W10 1809 Pro (EOS) to 2004 (online, during Defcon 4), which was swift and unproblematic in my case. I reset a few settings (including GP), but as I use O&O ShutUp10 (privacy-telemetry) that wasn’t a big deal.

The one issue I found after days of use was a missing (dead) Applet in the Control Panel. Searching in the registry I found the missing link to be to cpappletexe.exe which normally is  in the Intel PROSet-Wireless folder C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi.  What had happened?

By comparing my 1809 folders (on a Macrium backup) with the ones on 2004 I noticed that pretty much all folders and files under the WiFi folder had been removed. As the registry seemed intact I copied the 1809 WiFi folder to 2004 and it seems to work (the Applet in CP is back). As I don’t use Inter PROSet-Wireless, this procedure was low risk for me .. but I don’t think it’s recommended.  A remove-reinstall may be the better way.  Fwiw.

JohnW
        AskWoody Lounger

If you are inclined to upgrade to 2004, the best suggestion I can share is to follow the advice given by Ask Woody first. If not, as you really should always do anyway, make a system image before installing the upgrade. That way you can do a full system restore immediately if you run into any showstoppers.

So far, so good for me, for the past couple of months since installing 2004. Totally stable and no detectable issues. I am running a basic standalone PC config (no sharing or networking except on a Wi-Fi network with wireless printing to my HP multi-function printer).

The PC hardware is fairly recent, running a 9th gen Intel Core processor on a Z-390 motherboard, using manufacturer drivers for chipset, audio, and graphics. All up to date.

geekdom
        AskWoody Plus
        BetaTest {Got backup and coffee}
        offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender TRV=1909 WuMgr
        offline▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.685 x86 Atom N270 RAM2GB HDD WindowsDefender WuMgr GuineaPigVariant
        online▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.746 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox85.0b9 WindowsDefender TRV=2004 WuMgr
        rebop2020
        AskWoody Plus

I have the 2004 Feature Update hidden so “assume” at sometime that will disappear and I will be offered 20H2 and lose the opportunity to update to 2004 and postpone 20H2

There is not much difference between 2004 and 20H2. Both get the same updates (just like 1903 > 1909).

Updating from 2004 to 20H2 takes a couple of minutes. There isn’t even a new Windows.old file.

Cool. Then I seem to have no rush to do the 2004 update. And with luck when I finally do, the bugs will be squashed.

Phil F
          AskWoody Plus

FYI, my Win Home 1909 machine updated to November 2020 level last night.  After the restart, the feature update offered is now 20H2, rather than 2004.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Did somebody tried to join PC into domain, change some system variable, or renaming PC for example? In 20H2, there should be System page removed from control panel. Is that correct?

nosys

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Attachments:
        CBA
        AskWoody Plus

I’m on 2004 and am happy to still have a System applet in CP.  But, in 20H2 it’s supposedly gone for “not easy to explain” reasons.  More and how to get it back here (among others): https://www.howtogeek.com/697353/how-to-open-the-classic-system-control-panel-on-windows-10/

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Paul, what data in particular are you referring to?  What should I be looking for?

When a new profile is loaded you tend to lose existing desktop settings, icons etc. You may even lose access to your documents etc if it’s a full reset.

The easiest way to see if you have a new profile is to open Explorer and look in C:\Users for multiple folders starting with your user name.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 16 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: So What’s The Current Wisdom on Win10-2004?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.