News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Solved – DEP Setting Caused Crash

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Solved – DEP Setting Caused Crash

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

anonymous

Some months ago I changed the default Data Execution Prevention setting.
      (Computer > (Rt Click) Properties) OR (Control Panel > System) …
      … > Advanced system settings > Advanced:Performance:Settings > Data Execution Prevention.

The default is “Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs … only”
      I changed it to “Turn on DEP for all programs … except those I select:”
      – and left the selection box empty.

I encountered no errors, and forgot about the change.

Recently I had a mysterious problem. When using Lotus 1-2-3, if I did a Ctrl+X (Edit Cut) on a cell, the program crashed. Ctrl+C (Edit Copy) was fine. No other Lotus Smart Suite application had this problem. And another computer also had no problem. The user Account Type (Administrative or Standard) was immaterial.

The Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application – Error entry showed
      Faulting application name: 123w.exe
      Faulting module name:main123w.DLL
      Exception code: 0xc0000005

After chasing around quite a bit, I tumbled to the fact that the ‘c…5’ error may be due to a disallowed memory access.

— Recollection Flash!

Result: To the ‘exception box’ I added 123w.exe [which now shows as ‘IBM Lotus 1-2-3’].
      This Lotus blossom now blooms again nicely.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Solved – DEP Setting Caused Crash

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.