News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Some additional questions about 20H2 Upgrade

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 20H2 – October 2020 Update Some additional questions about 20H2 Upgrade

• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        LHiggins
        AskWoody Plus

Good morning! I have several questions about upgrading my Win 10 Pro v1909 laptop to V202H. I have read through many of the discussions posted here, and the various problems with doing this upgrade for some. I watched Susan’s video as well as a few others about how to do the upgrade, and since I still have questions, and a few reservations, I thought I’d just start a new thread to hopefully get some additional guidance.

Right now I am looking at three possible scenarios for this upgrade. I was initially hoping to just do it through Windows Update – set the TRV to 20H2 and when it was available, do the upgrade. That is still something that I am considering, but wanted to just see if anyone could answer these questions.

And before I start with my options – this laptop has two drives – C drive, which is a SSD with the programs and settings on it, and D drive, a HHD with all of my data. I do back up both of these, and will before I start – but a question – will the upgrade affect both drives or just the C drive with the programs and settings?

1. Using Windows Update – if I do change the TRV to 20H2, that will eventually give me the option to upgrade, correct? Will that be an in place upgrade or a clean install? Will I lose my data and programs? Will that option give me a choice of clean or in place – or just take whatever is offered?

2. Clean install using Susan’s video method – due to some power/restart/wake issues which I have gotten some great help with here, I was advised to just do a clean install instead of trying to keep my programs and settings. I understand that this might help to eliminate the power issues, but I wonder if the downside of needing to reinstall all of my programs, software and reset everything is going to be more of an issue that trying it as an upgrade and keeping everything in place. I don’t have a huge number of programs, but if things like Firefox and Thunderbird are deleted, it may be hard to recreate all of the emails and bookmarks for those. And it may not fix the power issue anyway?

3. Follow Susan’s video, but do an in place upgrade, choosing to keep all data and settings. My concerns are in the previous option above – so what would be the possible problems with going ahead with this option and not doing a clean install?

I guess at this point, I am very cautious and really don’t want to create any issues with this laptop. It has its quirks, but I don’t want to do anything that will make the problems it has worse, or create a situation where I can’t reinstall certain software or my printer/scanner, etc. And will any of those scenarios allow me to keep my current local account – I definitely don’t want a Microsoft account!

My last question – what will happen if I don’t do anything before v1909 reaches its end of life? How long could I continue running it before needing to upgrade? And will v20H2 be unavailable at a certain point, forcing me to the next version instead?

I know this is a lot, and I am hoping to get a little guidance before proceeding. I have a somewhat limited internet plan and slow-ish connection (I keep it on metered except when doing any updates). I hate the thought of needing to leave it updating for hours and hours as some have said, or overnight, only to find that it won’t install anyway and might become unusable, so whatever I can do to head that possibility off would be great.

Thanks so much for any ideas or help! Very much appreciated!

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Windows update will update/upgrade your Windows 10 version keeping your apps and data and creating backup file ‘Windows.Old’ (on drive C) which you can use to revert to previous version (1909) within 10 days. See that you have ~40+GB of free space on your SSD C drive.

Windows update will change files on drive C and won’t touch other drives (internal/external).

if you don’t do anything before v1909 reaches its end of life and even if you set TVR to 1909,
        Microsoft will force feed you 20H2 or even 21H1 (due to release on June).

You can download 20H2 .ISO file and run setup.exe when you are ready not waiting for Microsoft.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          LHiggins
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

See that you have ~40+GB of free space on your SSD C drive.

But – is that how large the download is? That’s just about my whole month’s worth of data! Or is that the space it will need once it is installed? If it is 40GB, there’s really no way I can download that size file! 🙁

joep517
        AskWoody MVP
        1. An update via Windows Update will install like a patch. No option for clean install. None of the options for the in-place upgrade either. It just installs.
        2. I only do a clean install these days if a system has problems. I’ve had systems that I did upgrades only from XP to Vista to 7 to 10 including service packs with no upgrade problems. If you choose to do a clean install make sure you have all the installers for your programs and any drivers which were supplied by the system vendor.
        3. An in-place upgrade will retain all your current programs if started from within Windows. The possible problems are the same as with any installation.
        4. I believe that when the version of the OS you are running is within 6 months of end-of-life Microsoft will begin the forced upgrade to the version after the one you are running. At this point, you’d be better off upgrading to 20H2 yourself for two reason. First, you get a longer support window if you choose to defer updates for a while. Second, the code base for 20H2 is the same as 2004. So, it should be close to the same in reliability and known issues. 20H2 is enabled through a small update to 2004.

--Joe

LHiggins
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks Joe! Much appreciated.

I think that the suggestion for the clean install was because of the power/wake/sleep issues that I’ve had on that laptop. But, there’s no guarantee that they won’t continue after a clean install, is there?

Also, as Alex5723 said,

Windows update will update/upgrade your Windows 10 version keeping your apps and data and creating backup file ‘Windows.Old’ (on drive C) which you can use to revert to previous version (1909) within 10 days.

So, I guess it might be worth just doing the in place upgrade, and if there are those power issues, revert back and then do a clean install?

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

joep517
            AskWoody MVP

There are many reasons for power/sleep issues. What troubleshooting steps have you taken? You may still have the same problems no matter what update method you choose.

No need to revert to do a clean install if you choose to do one.

Just make sure you have a backup of all the data you care about before beginning any of the update methods.

--Joe

alphacharlie
        AskWoody Plus

FWIW, I can Report on the experience with my ancient Lenovo Thinkpad T61:

After backing up my SSD using AOMEI Backupper, I followed the procedure in Susan Bradley’s video to move from 1909 to 20H2 19042.867 on 7 April 2021  The whole process took a few hours, but I never saw an error message.

The laptop seems to be working exactly as it did before, except that now I have Edge, as well as IE, installed.  That does not really matter to me since I use Firefox as my browser.  I am leery of deleting the Microsoft browsers since that might affect the OS.

I see there is a Windows.Old folder, containing 262,580 files in 95,379 folders which occupy 21 Gigabytes.  I am not planning any further updates while we are at Defcon 2, but I suppose it will be OK to delete that Windows.Old folder when I do the next round of updates in a month or so.

joep517
          AskWoody MVP

The Windows.old folder will be automatically deleted after 10 days or so. That is the time frame you have to easily revert to the prior installation.

--Joe

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

See that you have ~40+GB of free space on your SSD C drive.

But – is that how large the download is? That’s just about my whole month’s worth of data! Or is that the space it will need once it is installed? If it is 40GB, there’s really no way I can download that size file! 🙁

No, it is not.
        the downlead is about ~5GB. you will need ~20+GB for the Windows.old file…

krism
        AskWoody Plus

I wrote a long answer to this but it didn’t post. It keeps logging me off.

Plus if it appears it will probably appear as anonymous since it had logged me off

Group W (windows, current)
        - ThinkPad T570-20HA, i7-7600U, 2.8GHz, UEFI/GPT, Win10 21H1 Pro x64, 16GB, Sammy 256GB M.2 NVMe PM961. -

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by krism.
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

It appears you have C on small SSD

Buy a 250 or 500 GB sammy SSD and clone your present SSD to that and boot to that.

The problem with doing a clean install as a second partition is that it will be D and that will confuse the heck out of you.

If you update/upgrade or new install you will likely change stuff on data partitions and so to go back you will need to restore image of both SSD and HD drives else some programs may not work. I have no idea as to what apps you have besides FF and TBird.

This is becoming needlessly horribly comlicated.

Image both ssd and HD. Macrium free is excellent.
        In FF bookmark all tabs to a separate bookmark folder and copy that folder to 3rd HD
        Copy roaming/mozilla and thunderbird to 3rd HD.
        Make a printed copy of your extensions FF/Tools/Addons in case you need to manually add these.
        Do clean install on ssd (but PLEASE get a bigger one first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

- ThinkPad T570-20HA, i7-7600U, 2.8GHz, UEFI/GPT, Win10 21H1 Pro x64, 16GB, Sammy 256GB M.2 NVMe PM961. -

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by krism.
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

You know, you are posting so much and getting so many answers that you are just confusing yourself. STOP! STEP BACK for a week. Meditate.

LHiggins
        AskWoody Plus

It appears you have C on small SSD

OK – my bad – LOL! I have a 256 GB SSD that is the C drive and a 1 TB hard drive that is the data drive, so plenty of room. My comment about the size of the upgrade was about my internet usage – I have a 50gb/month plan – so if it was a 40GB download – that would overrun my internet usage – not the drive itself.

This is becoming needlessly horribly complicated.

Indeed – seems to be!!

STOP! STEP BACK for a week. Meditate.

Good idea – I think my brain does need a rest!

Thanks for the ideas and input! 🙂

cyberSAR
        AskWoody Plus

krism wrote: STOP! STEP BACK for a week. Meditate. Good idea – I think my brain does need a rest!

Don’t mean to add to any confusion, but my opinion is image your drives. Do the upgrade either from MS or the iso (I prefer the iso). Check how it works. If it hasn’t solved your issue(s) you can do a reset, fresh install or repair then. If all fails you have your image to fall back on. Think it through, but don’t torture yourself by overthinking it! Good luck!

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Some additional questions about 20H2 Upgrade

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.