News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Some Election Systems Connected to the Internet

Home Forums Outside the box Rants Some Election Systems Connected to the Internet

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  wavy 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Geo
      AskWoody Plus

Some of the election systems were connected to the internet in order to speed up results. Exclusive: Critical U.S. Election Systems Have Been Left Exposed Online Despite Official Denials – VICE

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1907068 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

In my view, elections should be done with old-fashioned mechanical voting machines, with paper receipts for auditing purposes. We must have secure elections; and mechanical voting machines are un-hackable. Mischief can be done with these machines; but it’s a lot easier for regular folks to discover the mischief than it is with electronic machines. In fact, with electronic machines, especially with connected machines, the mischief may be so well hidden that it is impossible to discover.

Sure, it takes longer to get the results with mechanical machines; but that’s the price you pay in order to have a secure voting process.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1907154 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

The scramble to secure America’s voting machines
      By Eric Geller et al. | August 3, 2019

Paperless voting devices are a gaping weakness in the patchwork U.S. election system, security experts say. But among these 14 states and their counties, efforts to replace these machines are slow and uneven, a POLITICO survey reveals.

Read the full article here

• #1907271 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

IMHO it is ludicrous to say the old lever operated voting machines were ‘beyond’ repairable. A 20 year old machine that tallies say 3000 votes 2 or 3 times a year worn out? Naaa. The move to digital was likely the result of $$ moving under the table. The new ones all have problems… [edited] I used to love that visceral feeling of pulling the lever and knowing for better or worse I had done my civic duty and voted.

I would love to get a look at one of those old machines and see just what it would take to bring it up to snuff.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Some Election Systems Connected to the Internet

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.