News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Something we know, but somehow still refuse to admit

Home Forums Outside the box Something we know, but somehow still refuse to admit

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Totaly off topic and maybe too deep thinking, but..

This movie, I belive, speaks about things that should be known. I dont know if all is true, but I dont have any chance to know all the answers by myself. But it seems pretty legit to me. Its about web and its functions and consequences.
        Social Dilema – IMdB

Sometimes I think, that TV series Black Mirror is one the greatest, when it comes to predictions.

And after seeing “Social Dilema”, please play this video by sir David Attenborough.

This should open our eyes, but I am not sure if the world leaders really listen. Sociopaths lack empathy, dont they..

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2306373 Reply
        Michael Austin
        AskWoody Plus

Why apologize for having a social conscience?

I’ve seen Social Dilemma and appreciated it. Black Mirror is/was very hard to watch but unusually well-done. And the science fiction of Ready Player One comes to mind what happens over time with tech societies, like Black Mirror postulates.

You might also appreciate The Great Hack. I’ve posted on Ask Woody about surveillance capitalism before. So far my posts don’t seem to have generated traction. Not that I could expect traction. If you wanted to dive a little deeper I could turn you onto two or three very good reads.

One of my smartphone app companies has an Indian attorney as its advisor, who practices in both London and Mumbai. His observation about US user privacy laws? That they’re laughably lax and they’d never pass muster in London or India.

Finance, social and tech founder. Co-founder of a global, gamified, crowd-sourced ESG advertising platform, and managing director of new crowd sourced games, both in pre-release development. My planet-wide talk show for people craving new stories by which to live is Casual Saints.

• #2306450 Reply
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

And the science fiction of Ready Player One comes to mind what happens over time with tech societies, like Black Mirror postulates.

I simply love that movie, since I grew up when there was boom of computer games! Seems like possible future to me too.

So far my posts don’t seem to have generated traction. Not that I could expect traction. If you wanted to dive a little deeper I could turn you onto two or three very good reads.

Id appreciate that, please. you can put your tips here for example? 🙂

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• #2306627 Reply
            Michael Austin
            AskWoody Plus

Sure Doriel:

I’d suggest these in addition to those I have already mentioned in this thread, I’d suggest:

The Age of Surveillance Capitalism book by Shoshona Zuboff for its far-reaching discussions of just what the title says it is, and whatever references she provides in that book. Zuboff is in The Social Dilemma as I recall. The book is very long.

Kingdom of Lies by Kate Fazzini as adventurous example of how our private data are hacked each and every day behind the scenes.

I posted on these fora, including a link to a Wired magazine article – “Forget the Techlash, the Lawlash is Long Overdue“.

Finance, social and tech founder. Co-founder of a global, gamified, crowd-sourced ESG advertising platform, and managing director of new crowd sourced games, both in pre-release development. My planet-wide talk show for people craving new stories by which to live is Casual Saints.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2306399 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Michael, please try not to repeat yourself, use a link if needed.
        e.g. #2294848

cheers, Paul

• #2306616 Reply
          Michael Austin
          AskWoody Plus

Thank you for that reply. What germane relationship do you see between the post you cited and this thread, please? Is that you prefer I use a link to cite my own relevant posts? Or is it that you are referring to that specific link? Thank you.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Michael Austin. Reason: clarification of the reason for an editorial reply to my post
      • #2306619 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Your Indian attorney anecdote.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Something we know, but somehow still refuse to admit

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.