News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Sorting and Filter

Posted on beethoven Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        beethoven
        AskWoody Plus

I am using both sorting and filter frequently and appreciate the way I can focus on what’s important and hide cells that may not be relevant at the moment.

I am however a bit uneasy combining both sorting and filtering at the same time worried that if I use a filter and then sort, it may have effects I don’t actually see. Not sure if that is clear or makes sense.  Is there a simple rule as to priority between filtering and sorting or any pitfalls I should avoid?

• #2304715 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Filter hides cells that don’t match the criteria, sorted or not. If you then sort the filter will still be applied, but the underlying data may change position, depending on the application.

Why don’t you test to see if a sort after a filter affect the underlying data in your app?

cheers, Paul

• #2304834 Reply
        beethoven
        AskWoody Plus

Hi Paul,

I have done some “testing” before and only noticed issues when I made mistakes with sorting, e.g. not paying attention to highlighting the correct / full range and thus messing up my spreadsheets.  As my spreadsheets often are quite large and some mistakes are not immediately apparent, I am a bit paranoid.  So at the moment I often do things in two steps, just to be on the “safe” side and I was hoping there is a clear rule that I could adhere to.

I am not sure what you mean by “underlying data may change position depending on the application” .  If this means filter and sorting are applied as needed and everything is back to normal once those commands are revoked, then that’s fine with me. If however some of the “position change” is “permanent”, then I would have a problem.

• #2304892 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

If however some of the “position change” is “permanent”, then I would have a problem.

Which is why you need to test a Filter, Sort, Reset Filter sequence.
        Do it on a small test sheet.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Sorting and Filter

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.