News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • SpaceX Returns

Posted on geekdom Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Fun Stuff SpaceX Returns

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

SpaceX returns:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/spacex-guiding-nasa-astronauts-to-1st-splashdown-in-45-years

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 WindowsDefender
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.1082 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox81.0 WindowsDefender
        TargetReleaseVersion=1909
        WUMgr
        4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2285841 Reply
        Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

Hooray!  The U.S. is now back to where we were in the 1960’s.  Well, as far as putting men into space and getting them back at least.

Win 7, Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz, Linux Mint 19.1, Klaatu barada nikto

• #2285882 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Charlie: “Hooray! The U.S. is now back to where we were in the 1960’s.

A justified “Hooray” for this two-way trip to the ISS, yes, and deserving more than two cheers: this mission puts the US space enterprise in a better place than where it has been for the last nine years. (Now, while one successful flight is encouraging, we need to have a few more to be reasonably sure of that.)

Besides, now there is a place for people to go up there and do something from moderately to quite useful, a place also that now is pretty much fully built, not quite the case back in July 2011.

And, this time, nobody got hurt, or worse. So this first successful trip is good and important news, for the USA in particular, and good and important news about anything are the sort of news one could have more of these days.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2286301 Reply
          Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

I forgot to give SpaceX the credit it deserves for making this possible.  Prior to this, getting men into space was mainly only done by the government agencies.  So we didn’t have companies like SpaceX back in the 1960’s and later.

Win 7, Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz, Linux Mint 19.1, Klaatu barada nikto

1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #2286434 Reply
            Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

I forgot to give SpaceX the credit it deserves for making this possible

They haven’t done anything amazing, just piggybacked on existing known methods of accelerating objects to escape velocity. The difference is, it was done by a private company, but still with government funding.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
            • #2286617 Reply
              OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Orbital velocity. I agree with Paul_T that SpaceX was enabled by the US government providing funding as well as NASA’s technical support and know-how. Nevertheless, the most remarkable thing here is that: (a) the rocket did not blew up on takeoff or while bringing to an orbit for reaching the ISS both the crew module and the attached “silo” where a cargo of supplies, equipment, etc. was being transported; (2) the astronauts reached the ISS, docked with it and went in still alive and the needed supplies were timely delivered; (3) the crew got back in the SpaceX module, after loading discarded items and other refuse in the “silo”, and returned to Earth, splashing at sea, and were retrieved without anyone dying and, it seems, without as much as having a little scratch;  (4) the USA now looks like it might be able to continue its manned space program without paying Russia for some very expensive taxi rides to the ISS and back, because now it seems it can take care of resupplying and rotating the ISS crews all by itself; (5) the booster returned to Earth and landed, not crash landed, so it can be reused, as can be the crew module, saving some hundreds of millions of dollars compared to using a new rocket and crew vehicle every time.

None of the above, (1) through (3), is ever guaranteed in space missions, but it takes a lot of good engineering to make it at least likely. And (4) and (5)  are both new and really interesting developments.

• #2286677 Reply
                Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

Russian launches are not expensive in monetary terms.

Since 2011 the US have paid over $3b for their crew missions.
                NASA have commited / spent $8b and have yet to launch.

I can see the political cost but not the monetary.

cheers, Paul

• #2286797 Reply
                OscarCP
                AskWoody Plus

What I think you might no be seeing is the independence cost to the first and still main space-faring nation (with other nations catching up fast) of being dependent on a non-allied and frequent rival nation for its execution of manned space operations. That cost is counted neither in dollars nor in parochial political advantages, even if those still have to be considered as well; but this goes well beyond that.

• #2286915 Reply
                Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

What I think you might no be seeing is the independence cost

I am only questioning the monetary cost, which some claim as justification.

cheers, Paul

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Paul T.
      • #2285936 Reply
        Myst
        AskWoody Plus

The article from National Geographic has some incredible photos the crew took. So glad their mission was successful from start to finish. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/08/astronauts-return-earth-spacex-dragon-nasa-hurley-behnken/

Here’s the article from Apple News in case National Geographic asks for a subscription. Then again they all try to throw in a hitch. Try one or try another, the photos are well worth the time. https://apple.news/AD57wzAWfSuiYeHroEmDkiA

Win7 SP1 Home x64, MacOS / Chromebook

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: SpaceX Returns

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.