News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Special orientation for Windows Secrets veterans

Home Forums AskWoody Central Getting started Special orientation for Windows Secrets veterans

Tagged: 

This topic contains 39 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  WShagen 2 months ago.

• Author

admin
      Da Boss

AskWoody’s going to be a bit disorienting at first. We’re using different bulletin board software. I know that many of you hate the indented answers, and the inability to simply scroll to the bottom and see everything that’s new. But there are tricks. And advantages to both ways.

What hasn’t changed are the people who make the place run. That’s the key ingredient. Everything else is artifice.

We aren’t done improving yet, but this should give you a quick introduction to what’s different. Welcome!

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #321683 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

The moderators here seem to be much stricter about etiquette and staying on topic. In WSL some back and forth was ignored. Observe the rules and stay on topic.

You’ll find a good group of people here. With the inclusion of many of the WSL VIPs, Mods, & Admins you’ll see many familiar names. You’ll come to know others quickly.

Be sure to use the right navigation panel section “Search for Topics” to find new topics and posts.

Direct Message = Private Message. Use it to ask any AskWoody MVP or even Woody for help on using this place.

Make suggestions about improving the forums. Some background and logic is appropriate.

While the organization is a little different you should recognize the WSL forums pretty easily and quickly. Look around, investigate, and you feel more comfortable quickly.

--Joe

9 users thanked author for this post.
    • #321702 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

Confused. I don’t have a problem with ‘much stricter about etiquette’ but does “Special orientation for ‘Windows Secrets’ veterans” include both ‘Windows Secrets’ newsletter subscribers and ‘Windows Secrets Lounge’ participants (i.e merging the distinction) or are the differences being kept, um, different?

(Is there any value in keeping that historical difference seperate? I.E. to differentiate between a “Windows Secrets” newletter subscriber vs a “Windows Secret Lounge” member/participant?)

In the grand order of things then, ultimately, I guess not… but IMO the nomenclature is important.. but often ignored here.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #321819 Reply

admin
        Da Boss

Excellent question.

Windows Secrets is kind of divided into two parts – Newsletter and Lounge – and the parts have very little to do with each other. That’s historically how Windows Secrets grew.

AskWoody also has some schizophrenic aspects, but we’re much more tightly woven together. Part of the reason: the AskWoody Plus Newsletter tends to look at newsy things, in addition to tips and help, and there’s lots of back-and-forth in the forum about the latest developments.

One of the big problems Penton had was keeping their pieces working together. AskWoody’s considerably better integrated — Newsletter subscribers have to be in the user database; Loungers have to be in the same database. There are still some soft spots, but yes, the idea is to have all of us mingling.

• #321879 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

We’re not fish out of water, we’re fish in a new aquarium; the old one’s cracked and won’t last.  I’m looking forward to the changes.  Woody and the folks behind the scenes (and a big thanks to all!) are working at making it work.

This is a WordPress forum format, and there are some things from Windows Secrets Lounge that simply won’t translate into a WordPress forum format.  There is a learning curve, but for me, it’s well worth the effort.  I’m sure that those of us who want to stay will all pick up on the new format sooner or later, and changes are being made to bring in the things that will translate into this format.  Windows Secrets Lounge is going away, period.

It appears that quite a few of the WSL regulars are going to make the effort and the transition, and I think that’s a big plus for everyone; those at AskWoody and the imports from Windows Secrets Lounge.

Dive in and poke around. Visit Tips for using the lounge for some quick pointers to get started.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns

"Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

9 users thanked author for this post.
    • #321928 Reply

DaveA
      AskWoody_MVP

I have been going through the different threads of Tips for using the lounge and they seem to jump around a lot.

I have looked to see what Word Press addins are being use to define the forum, but there is not any clear information as to which are being use. It may help us help you in putting together a Help area that was really useful, if a list of this addins and links to information about was provided.

One of the Tips stated something about that the BCCode under line is not being used. Things like this needs to made available with out have to really dig into the depths of the threads.

DaveA I am so far behind, I think I am First
      Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

• #321933 Reply

geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

bbCode information here:

Forum Alphabetical Order bbCode List

Group G{ot backup} TestBeta
        Win7Pro·x64·SP1·i3-3220·HDD·Microsoft Security Essentials·Windows Backup·Windows System Image·Windows Rescue Disk·Windows Firewall
        • #1848973 Reply

WSADRIANA DELGADO
          AskWoody Lounger

Good Afternoon, thanks for placing the provision of all codes, excellent forum and I hope to learn a lot of you.

• #1849051 Reply

Elly
            AskWoody MVP

Hello and welcome, WSADRIANA DELGADO.

Have patience with us because the Lounge is continuing to undergo changes.

Many of the items @geekdom lists in his testings are just alternative (and less convenient, it may be contended) ways to use things already in the text editor.

We do have a test forum if you want to check out what works presently, and what doesn’t, for yourself.

May I suggest refraining from using all capitals, because it may be viewed as the written equivalent of shouting… and as old and grey haired as some of us are, we prefer not to be assumed deaf and shouted at? (Obviously not referring to all the youthful, vibrant, and on the cutting edge contributors here… just me).

Glad you are supportive of @geekdom‘s efforts. So many people put in time and effort to really check things out and share their findings with others here, and @geekdom was very systematic in finding out what really works here, and kind enough to share with us.

If you’d like to share a bit about your interests, post about them in Welcome! Introduce yourself here. It was set up before the merge, to give everyone a gentle way to transition and get to know each other.

Whatever you decide to do, welcome and settle in!

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #321939 Reply

Kirsty
        Da Boss

Underline was removed as an option in WordPress back in 2016.

The list of Simple BBCode officially supported here are:

– Bold
        – Italic
        – Links
        – Quote
        – Lists (easiest to use Bulleted and Numbered in Visual mode)
        – Code (allows you to show text, without it causing an action to occur)

In addition to that, “pre” also works.

The text editor is designed to make using thes upport simple BBCodes simpler, with varying results using the visual editor tab. Other BBCodes can result in various issues that cause problems.

• #321940 Reply

b
          AskWoody Plus

Underline still appears twice at Forum Alphabetical Order bbCode List (since five months ago).

Could it be edited out from there?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #321943 Reply

b
            AskWoody Plus

… but it works:

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/heres-a-test-topic-in-the-testing-forum/#post-321942

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #321947 Reply

Kirsty
              Da Boss

It works, yes, but was removed as an option by WordPress… The reasons given for it being removed are valid, and it’s an issue of “some debate”.

Many of the items @geekdom lists in his testings are just alternative (and less convenient, it may be contended) ways to use things already in the text editor.

• #1813231 Reply

MrJimPhelps
              AskWoody_MVP

Colors work too. Here’s how I did my signature:

my_sig1

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
              with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
              • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  MrJimPhelps.
              • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  MrJimPhelps.
              Attachments:
      • #322007 Reply

Kirsty
        Da Boss

I have looked to see what Word Press addins are being use to define the forum, but there is not any clear information as to which are being use. It may help us help you in putting together a Help area that was really useful, if a list of this addins and links to information about was provided.

That information might also become an extremely useful resource to those with nefarious intent towards our site, and our site security is the primary reason for the restrictions and lack of information. Every time such topics are discussed, we get an influx of problems… and some of them have been major!

Respectfully, sticking to the text editor options is safest. Please 🙂

• #322041 Reply

woody
          Da Boss

We’ve had occasions, in the past, where well-intentioned but malformed replies have brought down parts of the system. While I agree that fancy formatting is nice, we’re very protective – overly so – about keeping the system working.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #322043 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

I have been going through the different threads of Tips for using the lounge and they seem to jump around a lot.

Yep. Want to take a hand at straightening them out?

I’d love to create a Page – and post it under a Help button up at the top – that gives a general overview, particular from the point of view of a Windows Secrets Lounge veteran.

We’re going to have a bunch of them shortly…..

• #323557 Reply

Bob2701
      AskWoody Plus

New to AskWoody but not new to Windows Secrets.

And yes it is a bit different.

• #323735 Reply

Wayne
      AskWoody Plus

I didn’t find it mentioned so here’s a tip: Use right-click + “Open link in new tab” (or pushing down on the center mouse scroll button) to open a new link from the list on the right (or anywhere else, for that matter). The usual left click replaces the page you are on with a new one, but it’s often convenient keep it immediately available in the original tab.

Probably everybody using WSL and Woody sites knows this, but maybe not. I suppose ancient tips like this should be under Tips for using the Lounge, so I’ll copy it and see if I can start a new topic.

• #745397 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Also, Ctrl+left click. That’s what I usually use.

• #744886 Reply

petesmst
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the useful “orientation” information.  Much appreciated.

Whilst I am (slowly) getting used to this forum (although The Lounge was, IMHO, much more “user friendly), there is one thing I am really struggling with:  The colour of text on the “wood” back ground.  The contrast is really not very good, neither is the font size; and the difference between the underlined and not underlined text  is barely discernable due to merging with the wood grain in many places.  Can anything be done about this?

Otherwise, I enjoy the massive amount of info, advice and tips available here and really appreciate the effort being made to import “the Lounge” data.  Thank you!

My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Mobo (Military Class V); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2016 Prof (32-bit); Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2019 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Dell S2417DG G-Sync UHD Monitor.

• #745598 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

You’re welcome!

The site was originally designed by a friend of mine who passed away almost a decade ago. It’s due for a major makeover, after we swallow the whale.

There’s lots and lots of room for improvement — and when the time comes I hope you’ll jump into the inevitable debate.

• #746386 Reply

petesmst
          AskWoody Plus

@woody:  Many thanks!  My comment is merely based upon personal “preference”.  (Probably influenced by having gotten used to “The Lounge” over the last 15 years, or so!)  If change is not possible, or a hassle, I can certainly get used to things as they are.  The value of the content far exceeds the “looks”!! (And I will certainly join in any future debate on the topic).

My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Mobo (Military Class V); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2016 Prof (32-bit); Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2019 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Dell S2417DG G-Sync UHD Monitor.

• #752015 Reply

woody
            Da Boss

We’re going to need all the input we can get.

The site’s grown enormously, and the emphasis has changed completely (several times!), in the 14 years since AskWoody started. We definitely need a makeover.

• #782712 Reply

Elly
        AskWoody MVP

Others have mentioned having the same problem. @ascaris, in the Tech Accessibility forum, posted Browser addons to make the web more legible, suggesting several ways to make the internet easier on our eyes. It won’t change the site, but allow you to configure things to make it easier for you.

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #830172 Reply

petesmst
          AskWoody Plus

@elly and @b Many thanks.  I’ll give them a try!

• #785657 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

I use uBlock Origin to filter out the background of the right panel on every page, which makes links legible, as recommended here:

Yay! for uBlock Origin – its Block Element can remove the infuriating pale wavy sludgy brown colour from the right-hand column and render the partially-hidden text legible again!

• #1755990 Reply

WSstarvinmarvin
      AskWoody Lounger

When did Windows Secrets end and hand over to AskWoody?

I was a Windows Secrets newsletter subscriber, Lounge member and poster for years. Made donations now and then out of appreciation for all the good advice and fun we had on the forums. When new ownership demanded an annual subscription fee I left.

It’s great to see WS merge with AskWoody. Looking forward to spending a little time here. Regards to everyone. Cheers!

Our systems (GF and me):

Windows 10 v.1803 laptop / ACER Aspire E15 series E5-575G-5341 / Intel Core i5-6200U @ 2.4GHz / 1 x 8GB DDR4-2100 RAM / 1 x WD Blue 3d 500GB M.2 SATA SSD (replaces orig. Lite-on 128GB M.2 SATA SSD) / 1 x Seagate 1TB 5400rpm HDD / auto-switching graphics – Intel HD 520 graphics & Nvidia GTX950M / Dual-band Wi-fi / USB 3.1 Gen 1

Windows 8.1 laptop / LENOVO Y500 / Core i5 @2.6GHz / 2 x 4GB DDR-3 1600 RAM / 1 x Samsung 840 240GB SSD / 2 x Nvidia GTX650M in SLI

Windows 8.1 home-built PC / ASRock Z97 Extreme4 motherboard / Intel Core i5-4590 @ 3.3GHz / 2 x 8GB DDR-3 2400 RAM / 1 x 960GB Sandisk Extreme SSD / 1 x WD Red 3TB HDD / 1 x Toshiba X300 6TB HDD / 1 x Seagate Innov8 8GB ext. HDD (USB 3.1) / 1 Nvidia GTX1050Ti graphics card

• #1756348 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Welcome to AskWoody!

When did Windows Secrets end and hand over to AskWoody?

We acquired  Windows Secrets and the WS Lounge toward the end of 2018. But it has taken us this long to import the data – and we’re still not completely settled with the merger.

You are going to find a lot of the people from WSL are already active here.
        To give you some pointers, start with the gray menubar at the top of the page. The “Welcome” button will give you some new-comer information.

The “Forums” button contains the layout of the Lounge. If you click on a link for a main Forum, it will open up and show you the sub-Froums and Topics underneath. The structure is like the folder tree in Windows, just not laid out as conveniently (or as easy as WSL).

Find a topic that interests you, and join in the discussions.

• #1760325 Reply

Lugh
        AskWoody_MVP

Hey Marvin, good to see you back 🙂

Lugh.
        ~
        Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
        i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #1757612 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Nice to see you back StarvinMarvin. (A South Park reference is always welcome.)
      Have you signed up for the newsletter?
      You can donate to keep the site running.

cheers, Paul

• #1757795 Reply

RockE
      AskWoody Plus

Let me join Paul T in saying Welcome “back”!

Image or Clone often! Backup, backup, backup, backup......
      - - - - -
      Home Built: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek HD Audio

• #1811374 Reply

Rocky12
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks Woody for acquiring Windows Secrets. I was a long time member of Windows Secrets and I’ve really missed all the newsletters and lounge content.

• #1813670 Reply

ThomasX
      AskWoody Plus

Is the Windows Secrets newsletter content available  yet?

• #1828910 Reply

Kirsty
        Da Boss

Welcome to AskWoody, @thomasx.

Our import of the Windows Secrets content continues, and the newsletters haven’t started to arrive yet. Watch this space… 😉

• #1858350 Reply

WShagen
      AskWoody Plus

Greetings from another newly returned WS refugee
      (or veteran, as the case may be, even though he deserted for a while after the former WS environment seemed to be turning into more of a marketing channel).
      It’s good to be back…

My question (one I often have for blogs):

Where can I find a search function for the blog entries?

There is one for the forum posts, of course, but I can’t find any for the “main articles” (i.e. the blog).
      Ok, I can search them indirectly by searching the forum posts which usually are replies to the respective blog entries, but isn’t it possible to search the latter directly?
      Even a list of all entry titles (headlines) would be helpful, but seems to be available only in the form of the “AskWoody Blog” forum (and it’s not really condensed enough for quickly scanning lots of entries). And the “Older entries” link brings up the full text which again is inconvenient for quick scanning.

Am I missing something here? (My paranoid browser settings may be the culprit).

Thanks for all tips.

Cheers,
      “WShagen”
      (who had problems with registering until he figured out he was already, but had been prefixed by “WS”… :-))

• #1858352 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Welcome to AskWoody!!

You can use a Google search (for example) and append “site:askwoody.com” (without the quotes) to the search term.

• #1858374 Reply

WShagen
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks, that was fast!

I know about that and have indeed tried it (forgot to mention it in my post), but the snag with this is that “site:askwoody.com” covers all the site content, so  the search results will also include  forum replies and won’t be specific to the blog entries.  (That can of course also be an advantage, depending on the issue at hand.)
          Thus, using the forum search and then the links from there to the original blog entry is probably the more direct way.

Cheers,
          WShagen

• #1858488 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Have you tried “site:askwoody.com/page”?

• #1858852 Reply

WShagen
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks, nice!

Wasn’t aware of that one, and it is indeed what I am after.
        As a bonus, the page number (as shown in the results) gives an approximate idea of how old the respective entry is, relatively.

Cheers,
        WShagen

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Special orientation for Windows Secrets veterans

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.