Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Spectre vulnerability need help.

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Spectre vulnerability need help.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 4 days, 3 hours ago.

• Author

anonymous

Is a manufacture of a motherboard have to release compatible bios update to somehow inject or support/update the new microcode of a cpu or is it possible to do this directly without updating the bios ? i’m a little confused of what steps should i take because i have a processor that have a new microcode update available but the manufacturer of the motherboard don’t have new bios updates or a any solution to this problem they basically don’t release anything since 2015. i have Intel Core i5 4460 and MSI NIGHTBLADE B85C motherboard and i’m affected by a Spectre vulnerability.

what i can do ?

Edit to remove HTML. Please use the “text” tab in the entry box when you copy/paste.

• #185181 Reply

MrBrian
      AskWoody MVP

It’s possible that Microsoft will issue a Windows update that will temporarily update the microcode upon every Windows boot. See Summary of Intel microcode updates and Protect your Windows devices against Spectre and Meltdown.

• #185188 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Lounger

Right now and if you are not running Windows 10, then there is not anything which you can do to directly mitigate Spectre since your motherboard apparently is not getting any microcode updates from your motherboard’s manufacturer.

On the other hand, there are other steps which you can take to hopefully prevent any Spectre attacks. Note that at present, there are no known and provable Spectre exploits which have been seen in the wild. This does not mean that they may not exist. This merely means that none have been verified at the present time. Do note that there are dozens of attempted Meltdown exploits in the wild, yet none of them appear to be successful at the present time.

The upshot is that for Meltdown, the most likely attack vector appears to be via Javascript in a web browser. The latest versions of Chrome and Firefox now have built in mitigations which will prevent successful Meltdown attacks via these web browsers. Alternatively, Meltdown could be expoited if you download and install a malicious program.

Spectre is a somewhat different animal in terms of exploitation.

Your best defense at the present time is to be very wary of installing any new programs on your computer. Yeah, it should be okay to update installed programs which are from companies and sources which you trust. Yet be wary about installing any new programs — especially from sources which you are not familiar with.

Finally, use a good antivirus product to further protect your computer.

As MrBrian mentions, hopefully Microsoft will step up to the plate and offer temporary CPU microcode updates which load upon every boot up of Windows, yet so far Microsoft is only doing this for Windows 10. On a final note, it is unclear if Intel’s round two of their released microcode updates can mitigate against the newly discovered Spectre-like BranchScope vulnerability which is similar to Spectre.

This is pretty much the best advice which I can offer at this time.

• #185309 Reply

EP
        AskWoody Lounger

Only the 1607, 1703 & 1709 releases of Windows 10 have Intel CPU microcode updates-

KB4090007 for v1709, KB4091663 for v1703 and KB4091664 for v1607

no Intel microcode updates for the “Threshold” (1507 & 1511) releases of Windows 10 are available since both these versions are out of support.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 5 hours ago by  EP.
    • #185329 Reply

anonymous

but what about this : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80817/Intel-Core-i5-4460-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-40-GHz- the microcode is listed Linux* Processor Microcode for a download can linux users simple flash this to the cpu somehow or what for this is ?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Spectre vulnerability need help.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.