News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • SpeedyFox

Posted on Microfix Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Tools SpeedyFox

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  SteveTree 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

Microfix
      Da Boss

As a long time user of this utility, since early WinXP years initially for firefox which now supports lots of browsers, I simply can’t install a browser without it. This little 674kb/ 822kb utility is an absolute gem for reducing the browser SQLite and defragments the browser user profile which grows over time during surfing and slows down the browser.

speedyfox

a worthwhile read is available for both Windows and Mac versions on the download page:

https://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox

The newest version is 2.0.27 has been released today which now supports Edge (Chromium) and there’s a release section which is constantly updated with every release.

Boosts Startup by up to 3 times
      Speed-up browsing history
      Overall quicker operation
      Smaller profile size

SpeedyFox supports: Firefox, Chrome, Epic, Iron, Opera, Palemoon, Skype, Thunderbird, Yandex, Cyberfox and now MS Edge (Chromium based)

I have tested this on Waterfox (Windows 7/8) a while back and works fine although it is not listed on the supported programs section.

This downloads as a zip file. Extract somewhere for it to reside, create a shortcut to destop or anywhere you wish. Stick a firewall rule on speedyfox as traffic is sent once run.
      Once this is done, run it.

Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with crystalidea..etc

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

Attachments:
      3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1958128 Reply

SteveTree
      AskWoody Lounger

I use Click & Clean with settings that delete databases. I am NOT suggesting others do this but am saying, if you use Click & Clean and select to delete databases, SpeedyFox may not do a lot for you (other than whatever you allow it to do enabling Internet access via firewall).

Capture-2

Group A (but Telemetry disabled Tasks and Registry)
      Win 7 64 Pro desktop
      Win 10 32 Home portable

Attachments:
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1958176 Reply

satrow
        AskWoody MVP

… with settings that delete databases

As the sole user, I’m quite happy to store the history of my main browsers:

History

I will look into your Click&Clean though šŸ™‚

@microfix: SpeedyFox didn’t find Canary Edge (Chrome) on my W7 šŸ™

Attachments:
        • #1958260 Reply

SteveTree
          AskWoody Lounger

As the sole user, Iā€™m quite happy to store the history of my main browsers:

Whereas I am quite happy to have a clean session every time.Ā  It is very much a personal choice. The only message I intended to deliver was if people are using Click & Clean, they may not derive much benefit from SpeedyFox.

The implication is other extensions that do things with databases may do similar.

Group A (but Telemetry disabled Tasks and Registry)
          Win 7 64 Pro desktop
          Win 10 32 Home portable

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: SpeedyFox

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.