News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • SpeedyFox

Posted on Microfix Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Tools SpeedyFox

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

As a long time user of this utility, since early WinXP years initially for firefox which now supports lots of browsers, I simply can’t install a browser without it. This little 674kb/ 822kb utility is an absolute gem for reducing the browser SQLite and defragments the browser user profile which grows over time during surfing and slows down the browser.

speedyfox

a worthwhile read is available for both Windows and Mac versions on the download page:

https://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox

The newest version is 2.0.27 has been released today which now supports Edge (Chromium) and there’s a release section which is constantly updated with every release.

Boosts Startup by up to 3 times
        Speed-up browsing history
        Overall quicker operation
        Smaller profile size

SpeedyFox supports: Firefox, Chrome, Epic, Iron, Opera, Palemoon, Skype, Thunderbird, Yandex, Cyberfox and now MS Edge (Chromium based)

I have tested this on Waterfox (Windows 7/8) a while back and works fine although it is not listed on the supported programs section.

This downloads as a zip file. Extract somewhere for it to reside, create a shortcut to destop or anywhere you wish. Stick a firewall rule on speedyfox as traffic is sent once run.
        Once this is done, run it.

Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with crystalidea..etc

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
        Attachments:
        3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1958128 Reply
        SteveTree
        AskWoody Lounger

I use Click & Clean with settings that delete databases. I am NOT suggesting others do this but am saying, if you use Click & Clean and select to delete databases, SpeedyFox may not do a lot for you (other than whatever you allow it to do enabling Internet access via firewall).

Capture-2

Group A (but Telemetry disabled Tasks and Registry)
        Win 7 64 Pro desktop
        Win 10 64 Home portable

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #1958176 Reply
          satrow
          AskWoody MVP

… with settings that delete databases

As the sole user, I’m quite happy to store the history of my main browsers:

History

I will look into your Click&Clean though 🙂

@Microfix: SpeedyFox didn’t find Canary Edge (Chrome) on my W7 🙁

Attachments:
          • #1958260 Reply
            SteveTree
            AskWoody Lounger

As the sole user, I’m quite happy to store the history of my main browsers:

Whereas I am quite happy to have a clean session every time.  It is very much a personal choice. The only message I intended to deliver was if people are using Click & Clean, they may not derive much benefit from SpeedyFox.

The implication is other extensions that do things with databases may do similar.

Group A (but Telemetry disabled Tasks and Registry)
            Win 7 64 Pro desktop
            Win 10 64 Home portable

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: SpeedyFox

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.