• Sports Illustrated Published Articles by Fake, AI-Generated Writers

Home » Forums » Outside the box » The Junk Drawer » Sports Illustrated Published Articles by Fake, AI-Generated Writers

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago.
    Author
    Topic

https://futurism.com/sports-illustrated-ai-generated-writers

There was nothing in Drew Ortiz’s author biography at Sports Illustrated to suggest that he was anything other than human.

[…]

The only problem? Outside of Sports Illustrated, Drew Ortiz doesn’t seem to exist. He has no social media presence and no publishing history. And even more strangely, his profile photo on Sports Illustrated is for sale on a website that sells AI-generated headshots, where he’s described as “neutral white young-adult male with short brown hair and blue eyes.”

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by Cybertooth.
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

I’ve worked for a few newspapers as a writer/reporter and always familiarize myself with real writers, reporters and publishing sources for credibility, mainly local.

Anything at a distance gets a backseat with me these days. I trust my instincts and if an article lacks a personal touch or character in reference, it’s just a windup toy given a fake name, profile head shot for sale, and generated by lazy tactics. Yes, it may be a human behind the mechanics, but as an article in final print, we lose touch with the original source of subject. The report takes on an unreal point of interest in itself, and unreachable author for future contact.

That’s where the AI story ends in publishing. The best writers hold their own. The names are real, the story is sometimes personal, and each has a flair never mistaken for lack of blood running through their veins.

AI will be flying along through the corporate world of those who want to be the first to invent a creative way to be a front runner in any industry. As with anything new and potentially being a money making venture, get used to an influx of yet an invention that will have to reinvent the theory of trial and error. “Can’t do it all, so where do we go from here?”

One way AI will be a success is if it focuses on combatting disease, maintaining an apparatus to help those who are physically impaired, and the likes all associated with better healthcare.

Leave the publishing to real folks who acquired their knack for informing and entertaining their readers through hard knocks, education and experience. Success is in numbers gathered over centuries, the bylines that hold notoriety are unmistakably remarkable and human.

MacOS, iOS, iPadOS, and SOS at times.

4 users thanked author for this post.

I read (past-tense) Sports Illustrated religiously every week, always looking forward to the next week’s issue. And double issues were a bonus! But then, in rapid succession, SI became, first, a twice-a-month publication and then, monthly. Then, in 2019, it was sold and half of its famed newsroom was laid off! My subscription was about to end and, for the first time in over 50 years, I did not renew it . . .

Win 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit; Office 2010; Group B (SaS); Former 'Tech Weenie'
      3 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Sports Illustrated Published Articles by Fake, AI-Generated Writers

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: