News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• start menu, explorer searches, notifications not working

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Windows 10 version 21H1 – May 2021 Update » start menu, explorer searches, notifications not working

Author
    Topic

Windows 10 21H1

Noticed yesterday some things not working.

First when I click on notifications, doesn’t work. Cannot open action centre.

When I press windows key nothing happens although Windows+R and +M work. No access to start menu. Cannot type into search box.

In Windows Explorer, cannot do searches – cannot type into search box.

In Windows Explorer, cannot use the photo editor app, e.g. when I double click on a jpg. Some double clicks, e.g on pdf’s, doc files do work.

I uninstalled most recent update KB5006670, didn’t improve anything, reinstalled it. The problems have just shown up the past few days.

Have tried various suggestions, e.g. restart windows explorer, restart computer…

Are these common problems to which people know a solution?

thanks

Viewing 8 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Try pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL, then click “sign out” and try to re-loggin into your computer. In the past, this workaround made start menu work again.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

1 user thanked author for this post.

thanks, tried that a couple of times with no improvement, also ran system file checker

noticed something else not working: windows calculator. When I click on its taskbar icon I get a big icon which then fades away, no calculator

Seems like too much problems at once.

Have you considered to reset PC to factory default? If your PC came with preinstalled OS, it could be restored to the original fuctional state.
      You can search start menu for “Reset this PC”.

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

Before a reset to factory default, it might be easier to perform an in-place nondestructive reinstall of your Windows installation.

Zig

Good idea, @paullantz could download latest version of windows ISO and launch the installation. That could leave the user data as it is and clear the bugs.

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

Have you done a full AV system scan?
      I’d do this first before anything

| Quality over Quantity |

I think I may get the ISO and reinstall, too many things not working. Ran a couple of AV scans plus malwarebytes which turned up nothing. Only big concern is preserving my data and making sure applications still end up working.

You can preserve your data. Launch the setup and select “Keep personal files and apps.”
        This should update and your data will be still available. Best practice is to perform backup before you update – I mean copy data to external drive, so you wont lose them if something goes wrong (your movies, MP3s, family photos, etc.). Performing full C: backup is not good idea, if your system is “full of bugs”.
        Copy your data somewhere and do the upgrade. Fingers crossed, hope it repairs your problems.

Note: The color could be different from the picture! Each version has its own color ๐Ÿ˜‰

keep

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

when you do this, are drives other than C: affected? I have little besides windows and apps on C:.

No, other should stay as they are right now. If you have separate drives (D:, E:, ..) they stay, how they are.

Only C: and its installed apps are affected. If you have your personal data on D: or elsewhere, they should remain untouched.

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

But make sure that your drives are NAMED (e.g., System, Data, Media, etc.) before you start – to make sure you install Windows to the correct drive (letters may change).

Zig

spent a couple of days backing up stuff and seemed to have solved my problems by installing windows and keeping apps / data. Still wonder what caused things but easier just to reinstall.

spent a couple of days backing up stuff

“Backing up stuff” with any decent image backup app of your whole PC takes no more than ~30 minutes.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    Reply To: start menu, explorer searches, notifications not working

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.