News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Start Menu question

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Start Menu question

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        BobStr
        AskWoody Plus

I have Win 10 Version 1909 on my desktop, and Version 1903 on my laptop.

I also installed Open Shell on the laptop, but not the desktop.

On the laptop, when I find a file using the Win key, I can right click on it and then use the open-with function. I can’t do that on the desktop. I can only open it with the default program. I assume, but don’t know, that Open Shell is what lets me do this on the laptop (I don’t like uninstalling and reinstalling things just to find out). But for a variety of reasons, I’m currently not planning to install Open Shell on the desktop.

I’m therefore wondering if there’s another way to modify things on the desktop so I can use the open-with function in the start menu. If, say, there’s a registry edit that will do it, I’m fine with that.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks large.

• #2191077 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I can’t do that on the desktop. I can only open it with the default program.

1909 Pro with Feb. updates. No Open Shell and have Open With.

opnw

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2191082 Reply
          b
          AskWoody Plus

That’s in File Explorer, not the Start menu.

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (Pioneer/Chump)

• #2191101 Reply
          BobStr
          AskWoody Plus

We might be mis-communicating (I’m not sure). When I said that I couldn’t do it on the “desktop”, I was referring to my desktop computer, as opposed to the laptop.

Your attachment looks like a context menu that’s produced when you right click on the file inside a folder. I get the same thing. What I can’t get is a right click option when I find a file via the Win key (i.e., by doing a search for it). In that case, the only two options produced by right clicking are “open file location” and “copy full path.”

If on the other hand, the menu shown in the attachment is what you get when you right click on a file after finding it using the Win key, I don’t get the same thing, although I too have 1909 Pro with the February updates.

By the way, how are you able to take a screenshot of a pop menu like that one? When I try use a screenshot app to copy a pop up, activating the app makes the pop up disappear.

Thanks.

• #2191080 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

If you’re using the Win key and typing the name of a document file; when it’s found, can’t you click on the right arrow beside it (which says “See more information (Right arrow)” if you hover over it) and then use Open from there?

I think you may be right about Open Shell providing the right-click Open option.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2191108 Reply
          BobStr
          AskWoody Plus

The stuff to the right of that right arrow provides only three options: (1) Open (which uses the default program); (2) Open file location; and (3) Copy full path. There’s no open-with option. So, I can open the file, but not with anything other than the default program.

FWIW, I infer from your message that the options to the right of the arrow are supposed to appear after you click on the arrow(?). On my system, the right-side stuff appears automatically, as soon as the file has been found, without my having to click on the arrow. Clicking on the arrow doesn’t produce anything further. Maybe this is neither here nor there, but if your system requires you to click on the arrow to get anything, that means our systems are working a little differently, for whatever that’s worth.

If Open Shell is in fact what is enabling the open-with option on my laptop, I’m wondering if there’s some other way (such as fiddling with the registry?) to get the same thing without installing Open Shell and producing all the differences that it’s designed for.

Thanks.

• #2191131 Reply
            b
            AskWoody Plus

The stuff to the right of that right arrow provides only three options: (1) Open (which uses the default program); (2) Open file location; and (3) Copy full path. There’s no open-with option. So, I can open the file, but not with anything other than the default program.

Understood. (now!)

FWIW, I infer from your message that the options to the right of the arrow are supposed to appear after you click on the arrow(?). On my system, the right-side stuff appears automatically, as soon as the file has been found, without my having to click on the arrow. Clicking on the arrow doesn’t produce anything further. Maybe this is neither here nor there, but if your system requires you to click on the arrow to get anything, that means our systems are working a little differently, for whatever that’s worth.

Just depends on single or multiple results. I was testing with short searches and had to select a particular file. If only one is found then it works your way.

If Open Shell is in fact what is enabling the open-with option on my laptop, I’m wondering if there’s some other way (such as fiddling with the registry?) to get the same thing without installing Open Shell and producing all the differences that it’s designed for.

Thanks.

I haven’t been able to find a different way yet.

• #2199671 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

That’s in File Explorer, not the Start menu.

My mistake.

Never use the start menu search. I use the free, portable, 1000 times faster, Everything app. And it has Open With.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Elly, b
      • #2211710 Reply
        KYKaren
        AskWoody Plus

Why doesn’t the Start Menu Apps list show the shortcuts to my personal folders that 1) are in the C:UsersUserNameHereAppDataRoamingMicrosoftWindowsStart MenuPrograms folder and 2) are also tiles in the Start Menu display of tiles?

To illustrate the problem, I have attached two images to show 1) and 2 ) for one of my personal folders named DATA.  You can see there that DATA is not in the Start Menu Apps list.

This is happening to all of my personal folder shortcuts when 1) and 2) is true.

I have an older laptop using Windows 10/Pro, version 1909 where 1) and 2) is true AND they DO show up in the Start Menu Apps list.  This makes me think there is some switch somewhere in Windows 10 for including personal folders in the Start Menu Apps list when they are in the C:Users….Programs folder.  But maybe not.  It seems odd that the Start Menu Apps list on the older Win10/Pro, 1909 laptop shows these personal folders, but the Menu Apps list on the newer Win10/Pro, 1909 laptop does not show them.

not-in-app-list-but-in-start-tilesDATA-in-AppData-Programs

Offline: Win7Pro ∙ SP1 ∙ x64
        Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-6500U ∙ RAM 12GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender
        Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-8565U ∙ RAM 16GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender

Attachments:
    Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Start Menu question

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.