News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Starting New Laptop for First Time

Posted on Kathy Stevens Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Starting New Laptop for First Time

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
        Kathy Stevens
        AskWoody Plus

A friend is taking delivery of a new Windows 10 HP laptop next week. If they were nearby I would set up the machine for them – but they are not.

I have searched the Lounge, but have not found a good set of sequential step-by-step instructions to follow after for turning on the machine for the first time and going through the Windows set up process.

Can anyone point us to a good set of instructions on what to do after pushing the on button of a brand new Windows 10 computer?

• #2272316 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

This is a short list.If you have more questions, ask.

Set up the computer OFFLINE (that means DO NOT connect to a network or the Internet), creating a Local Account (Administrator). That account password should not expire. Be sure there is nothing in the setup you do that requires/requests that when you create the account. (Write the password and hint down). They may call this a “limited Experience” account; they try to hide it to make it difficult because they want you to use a Microsoft Account)

Do not do updates that the install requests several times (you are not connected to the Internet).

Get all the settings correct in the Settings App and Control Panel, particularly for Windows Update.

Then, go online, activate Windows, and do any required updates to bring it up to date.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2272320 Reply
        Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

after doing what PkCano asked,

I suggest setting your connection to metered and  download wushowhide

That way you can keep record of the updates and with that you make sure, Windows dont install stuff behind your back.

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
        2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2272323 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

Having done this fairly recently, when Microsoft attempts to get you to set up the Microsoft account (which is the only thing that they present you with), select the option that you do not know their sign in credentials. This will allow you to set up the local account.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

• #2272327 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

After it updates on-line, go through and fix any settings that updating may have changed. Make an image back up… that may mean downloading the needed backup program… but only go to that site, and download.

Uninstall any programs that aren’t wanted, from the Start Menu.

Find and install any programs that the user needs, from good sources… Thunderbird, Macrium or other back up tool, VLC, LibreOffice etc… make sure they show up on the Start Menu, or have shortcuts on the desktop, so the user knows they are there.

You can find and re-enable the Windows 7 Photo Viewer, or use a full editing program like FastStone Image Viewer or Irfan View… any of which I find better than W10 Photo app.

Go through Settings/Apps and make sure the chosen apps are made default for opening the desired files, and that they are all working as desired.

Make an image of the fully updated OS with needed programs installed and all settings correct… then transfer data and you can move ahead with the regular back up system you use…

And you should be set?

• #2272328 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

Oh-one other thing- ask what they intend to do regarding One Drive. If they don’t want the Cloud, turn it off. Review what is being backed up, if they do want One Drive to do so… and just be aware that it fills up quickly, and then nags that you need to pay for more storage… It is connected by default. I’ve had family completely puzzled because they had never ‘asked’ for the storage, and there was confusion about folder access as well, because they assumed everything was local, and it wasn’t. The push to connect everyone to the ‘cloud’ with options/defaults not within their experience if W10 is new to them, can be confusing.

Review with them the difference between a local and a Microsoft account. If they are using other Microsoft services, they will need a Microsoft account… their local account wont suffice.

• #2276180 Reply
        Kathy Stevens
        AskWoody Plus

Goodbye to Windows 10

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been helping friends select and setup a new computer.

In order to facilitate their transition from an ancient Windows 7 all-in-one to a new PC, we decided to stay with the Windows operating system and they ordered and took delivery of a new high-end HP notebook with Windows 10 Home.

The machine was delivered last week and the saga began.

They turned off their router and start the Windows 10 installation.  Windows complained that it could not find an internet connection and then the HP installation software repeatedly searched for a router connection.  Set up accounts the computer screamed.

After pushing through all of the barriers to entrance, getting up and running, we went into the Windows 10 and adjusted Update & security, Privacy Settings, and then Apps & features.

After several hours of “tweaking” the new Windows laptop the owners said enough is enough. “We did not have to do all of this with our iPad.”

And then we discussed the problems with Windows 10 updates – including the lack of Microsoft’s quality control – and the decision was made.

THE HP WINDOWS 10 COMPUTER IS GOING TO BE RETURNED AND ITS REPLACEMENT WILL BE AN APPLE PRODUCT.

• #2276197 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

As long as you have no apps that you need Windows to run, a high end laptop could be either Windows or Mac.
          Do let us know how the new unit fares in the set up stakes.

cheers, Paul

• #2276335 Reply
          Ascaris
          AskWoody_MVP

Can’t say I blame them.

Ever since Windows 10 arrived, there’s been a sense that there is a battle between Windows and the PC owner.  In the very early days, the battle was to keep Windows 10 off of the PC, where people had to set up defenses to keep Windows 10 from imposing itself on the user against his wishes.  A successful defense would result in no change, while losing meant you got Windows 10.  Having Windows 10 on a person’s PC meant a victory for Microsoft and a loss for the owner of the PC… an apt metaphor if I ever saw one.

Now, five years later, people still have to fight Microsoft for control of their own PCs.  All of the convoluted things that were so off-putting to your friend were part of that battle, of course.  It would be one thing if after you got done doing all of the tweaking and modification to a new Windows 10 PC, you could be certain that it would do its job (to serve the hardware owner’s interests as defined by himself) from that point on, but that’s not guaranteed by any means.  Any tweaks may well have to be re-applied each time a feature update is installed, meaning that people who need help getting things set up will either have to become adept at handling things like that on their own, or else the “setup” help from the helper would have to be repeated many times in the coming years.

That’s no way to run a railroad.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.19.2).

• #2276354 Reply
            Kathy Stevens
            AskWoody Plus

That is why we are considering moving our business from a Windows environment to an Apple dominate environment.

With the end of support for Windows 7 we moved all of business PC to Windows 10. Since then we have spent an inordinate amount of time fiddling with Windows 10 vs. paying attention to our core business.

And we are dealing with a high degree of uncertainty with respect to delivering our time sensitive analysis to our clients due to Microsoft’s lack of quality control.

We stuck with the Microsoft operating system due to the cost of replacing our analytical, graphics, and mapping software.

Then came COVID-19 and the need to make sure that everyone had the computer resources that would allow them to work from home, including a rush to purchase computers and software to duplicate what they had on site.

Now, COVID-19 has resulted in a reduction in travel time and we are using the break to see if we can replace our Windows based workstations with Apple machines.

So far it looks as if the transition to Apple systems will be seamless.

So over the next six year our computer replacement cycle we will allow us to transitioning to Apple.

• #2276371 Reply
            anonymous

Ascaris wrote:
            That’s no way to run a railroad.

Unfortunately, these days the Microsofties only seem to understand “railroad” as a verb…

Railroad, transitive verb (from Merriam-Webster)

1b : to push through hastily or without due consideration

🙁

• #2276378 Reply
              Kathy Stevens
              AskWoody Plus

Early in my carer I worked for a railroad.

And a common joke was that we hoped that the light at the end of the tunnel was not the headlamp of an on coming train.

In the case of Windows 10, the light at the end of the tunnel is frequently an oncoming train!

• #2276328 Reply
        Kathy Stevens
        AskWoody Plus

And the saga continues.

The bad news was that Windows 10 was a barrier to setting up and using the new HP laptop.

The good news is that the new PC is being returned to HP for a full refund (no restocking fee, etc.), HP sent a FedEx return shipping label, and the computer is on its way back to the company.

It is nice to do business with a firm like HP.

Once the refund is in the bank an Apple machine will be ordered.

And now the conversation with our friends has turned to the possibility of updating their 2010 HP TouchSmart 610-1000z CTO Desktop all-in-one PC to Windows 10.

The HP support page for the all-in-one has Windows 8 driver updates (dating from 2012) – no Windows 10 drivers.

So, sometime in the future we will do a complete backup of TouchSmart’s Windows 7 C drive, install all of its most recent Windows 8 drivers, and start the Windows 10 update process.

But that will have to wait. Maybe during a hurricane or blizzard.

And I am not optimistic that the TouchSmart can be updated to Windows 10.

• #2276329 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Are you sure the Win8 drivers will work with the Win7 OS?
          Just asking.

• #2276334 Reply
            Kathy Stevens
            AskWoody Plus

I am not sure if the Windows 8 drivers are compatible with the Windows 7 Pro operating system.

I just recalled reading that there was a higher probability of success by installing the Windows 8 drivers before upgrading to Windows 10.

I guess, option two is to install the most recent (2012) Windows 7 drivers.

So we will try option 2 first.

• #2276330 Reply
          geekdom
          AskWoody Plus

How is the Windows 10 conversion going to go better this time?

G{ot backup} TestBeta
          offline▸ Win7Pro SP1 x64 Storage
          online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.900 x64 i5-9400 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0b3 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
          • #2276343 Reply
            Kathy Stevens
            AskWoody Plus

It will not cost $800, the cost of the new laptop. A significant bite out of the family’s budget.

The update will be of a 10 year-old machine. The intention is to extend its life.  If it fails, the plan is to recover the system from the backup and continue using the Windows 7 platform.

If it succeeds, the risk of an external attack is reduced, the machine can be used to run TurboTax and other apps in the future, and continued use of the large screen for safely streaming Netflix, etc.

• #2276358 Reply
          anonymous

Kathy Stevens wrote:
          So, sometime in the future we will do a complete backup of TouchSmart’s Windows 7 C drive, install all of its most recent Windows 8 drivers, and start the Windows 10 update process.

But that will have to wait. Maybe during a hurricane or blizzard.

Well, yes, that’d certainly be one way to schedule it. As for me, I must be boringly conservative, as I personally try to schedule system updates and upgrades at times when it seems less likely building power may be disrupted. 🙂

• #2276518 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

install all of its most recent Windows 8 drivers, and start the Windows 10 update

Windows 10 has drivers of it’s own so I would just upgrade without touching the drivers. If you need anything Windows 10 will let you know.

cheers, Paul

• #2276945 Reply
        RockJohny
        AskWoody Plus

Speaking of Turbotax, is this anything to worry about?
        ”  In addition, during the installation process TurboTax for Windows will check your computer to determine if you have Microsoft.net framework (version 4.0 or greater) and install these
        program updates if they are not already present on your computer. Installation of these
        programs is necessary for the installation and operation of TurboTax for Windows. If you
        subsequently delete TurboTax or choose to not continue with the installation process,
        these Microsoft programs will remain on your system.”

If they confine updates to .Net stuff, that’s not really an issue – right?

• #2276949 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

TurboTax needs .NET to to operate.
          .NET will receive updates through Windows Update.
          If you uninstall TurboTax, .NET will continue to receive updates and will not be a problem.

• #2276990 Reply
        RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

Kathy,

The first thing I always do is to insert my Macrium Reflect boot USB and use the Boot Manager to boot from that and make an Initial Image Backup to an external drive. This serves two purposes:

1. If early on the machine turns out to be a dud I can restore the backup and the machine is just how I got it so making it easier to return.
        2. If I decide later on to sell the computer, once again I can make it look just like it came out of the box for the new owner to setup the way they want it.

HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

• #2277116 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Does Macrium boot in secure boot mode?

cheers, Paul

• #2277188 Reply
            RetiredGeek
            AskWoody MVP

Paul,

If you created the Boot Disk on a machine that supports Secure Boot YES. There’s actually a check box for this in the dialogs to create a Boot Disk, it is automatically checked if your machine supports Secure Boot. You can manually check it if you are using a machine that doesn’t support SB, however I don’t know if that works properly or not. I use a single master Boot USB key on all my machines, both SB and Legacy Boot, with out issue.

HTH :cheers:

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
            Computer Specs

Viewing 10 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Starting New Laptop for First Time

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.