News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Startpage Privacy

Posted on Microfix Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kirsty 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Microfix
      Da Boss

Came across a new quite disturbing blog by privacy advocate Sven Taylor on his blogsite regarding the partial aquisition of the Startpage search. Although not exactly breaking news, it certainly got my attention.

Recently there has been lots of talk about Startpage being acquired (or at least partially acquired) by a US company called Privacy One Group, which is a division of System1, a “data science” company that specializes in targeted advertising.

Problem is, the new board members and owners of Startpage are literally in the business of gathering “as much data as possible.”

Sven digs down deep to reveal more interesting findings over on:

Startpage Acquired by System1, Privacy One Group – Still Safe?

my secondary search engine is now primary again..YMMV

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

7 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2006393 Reply

anonymous

I had not heard this. I use Startpage quite often, but now I have to reconsider. Thanks for posting this.

• #2007069 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

Startpage replies to questions about ownership change
      by Martin Brinkmann | November 18, 2019

Startpage, a popular privacy focused search engine that operates out of the Netherlands, published a new FAQ on its websites in which several answers are provided regarding the change of ownership that took place recently.

To summarize: Startpage states [that] nothing has changed in regards to how the service operates in regards to user privacy.

The publication leads to another question: why has System1 / Privacy One Group Limited made an investment in Startpage? What is the motivation behind it?

Startpage attempts to answer that question as well by providing a statement of the Chairman Michael Blend and the CEO Ian Weingarten of System1.

In it, the company representatives state that the investment was made “because we believe Startpage serves a critical role in maintaining consumer privacy, and we hope our resources can help Startpage bring privacy to millions of new users around the world”.

The whole situation could have been avoided if Startpage would have been transparent about the deal.

Read the full article here

2 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Startpage Privacy

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.