News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Startup programs not working anymore

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Startup programs not working anymore

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

phaolo 2 months ago.

• Author

phaolo
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello.
      Since last year Windows Defender’s updates sometimes (and somehow) seem to cause my startup programs to break.

All the programs listed in these places stop running at startup:

C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Only a System Restore fixes it (sfc never solved much), but now I can’t go back to a working version.
      Do you know what could cause this weird problem and how to fix it?

P.s: I’m not sure if it’s related, but I have very few errors in EventViewer, one of which is:

Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
      EventID 1530

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 

1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-[longcode]:
      Process 996 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-[longcode]

• #1652574 Reply

phaolo
      AskWoody Lounger

Oh well.. I managed to restore via Safe Mode.
      This is still annoying and weird, but as long I can go back, I guess I’m ok..

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1657330 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Registry unload errors are often related to AV programs not relinquishing control, although it’s not expected of Defender.
      Maybe you have another program that is hanging onto the registry. Check Task Manager for running processes and check any non-MS programs are ones you expect.

cheers, Paul

• #1716402 Reply

phaolo
      AskWoody Lounger

I’m not using an antivirus at the moment.
      Maybe it could be ZoneAlarm’s fault, but so far I haven’t been able to verify it.

Btw the issue came back and strangely, it even persisted after restoring to previously-created points without it.

So, I tried using  Msconfig to do a selective restart without any third-party service&program and the startup progs worked again. Then I re-enabled them one-by-one (actually in groups) to identify the culprit, until.. I basically ended up with the normal start.
      And the issue vanished again.. ¯\_(O_o)_/¯

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Startup programs not working anymore

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel