News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Sticky Notes Not Working

Posted on Kathy Stevens Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Sticky Notes Not Working

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Kathy Stevens
        AskWoody Plus

I am using sticky notes under Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, Build 18363.1082

All of a sudden, this afternoon I cannot enter data into the sticky note that is on the home screen of my primary monitor. The sticky note that I have been using since January will not take new text or numbers.

I have rebooted the system several times – to no avail.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

If so, have they found a workaround?

• #2306706 Reply
        anonymous

I have v1909 Home and Sticky Notes stops working every so often.  It will allow me to move around the note using the cursor keys and delete characters using the Backspace key but it won’t allow me to insert characters of any type.

If this happens, I create a new Sticky Note and copy and paste.  I haven’t managed to work out why it stops working although I note that this version does not like an imported spreadsheet.

I have learned to keep a screenshot of my sticky notes tucked away just in case…

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2306819 Reply
        Kathy Stevens
        AskWoody Plus

After shutting down the system completely and restarting it my sticky notes appear to be working again.

• #2306826 Reply
        CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

I gave up on MS Stickies a long time ago and went here http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/

These have more options and work all the time.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
        4 Win 10 Pro at 1909 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2306862 Reply
          Kathy Stevens
          AskWoody Plus

When I go to download Stickies at    https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/download.html   Norton security flashes a warning that the site has a rating of CAUTION.

Norton goes on to indicate that,

“Web sites rated ‘Caution’ may have a small number of threats and annoyances, but are not considered dangerous enough to warrant a red “Warning”. Proceed with caution.

The Norton rating is a result of NortonLifeLock’s automated analysis system. Learn more.

The opinions of our users are reflected separately in the community rating on the right.”

As a result, I will pass on the opportunity to replace Microsoft’s sticky notes with Zhorn Software 2020’s Stickies for now.

I am afraid that I am conservative when it comes to downloading and installing apps on our computers, but in our case, better safe than sorry but thanks for the suggestion.

• #2306866 Reply
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

URLvoid, Norton Safeweb, VirusTotal and backlight are all reporting the site and download are clean.
          It’s more than likely a False+ by Norton (which has frequently been known)
          Nevertheless, your AV will scan the file on download anyway so..

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
          3 users thanked author for this post.
          • #2306869 Reply
            Kathy Stevens
            AskWoody Plus

I will hold off for now and revisit the download if I run into further problems with Microsoft’s sticky notes.

• #2306872 Reply
            CADesertRat
            AskWoody Plus

Your computer, your choice Kathy. 🙂

I’ve been using it for a few years now since I got tired of intermittent problems with MS stickies and I have had no problems. The GUI is way better than MS.

Good luck

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
            4 Win 10 Pro at 1909 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2307763 Reply
        anonymous

Win10 Home v1909

Just deleted a line on my Sticky note and typed in some new data but it didn’t appear.

arrgghh

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Sticky Notes Not Working

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.