Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Sticky Notes v 3 rolling out to Win10 1803 customers

Home Forums AskWoody blog Sticky Notes v 3 rolling out to Win10 1803 customers

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 2 months ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

I’ve never been impressed by the Sticky Notes app — but this rollout is notable for one key reason: Microsoft’s actually distributing a usable UWP ap
      [See the full post at: Sticky Notes v 3 rolling out to Win10 1803 customers]

• #219545 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Lounger

I’m rather partial to real stick-on notes. They come in multiple sizes, lined and unlined, and you can tear them off and take them with you. They are suitable for grocery lists, appointments, addresses, phone numbers, and just general information. They aren’t tied to a computer nor an application. They are compact and fit nearly anywhere. No batteries, either.

Group G{ot backup} Win7 · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta
      • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  geekdom.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #219556 Reply

radosuaf
      AskWoody Lounger

UWP Mail is plain terrible on desktop and fairly usable on phone. Removing it via PowerShell and installing Thunderbird is the first thing I do after installing W10.

MSI H110 PC MATE * Intel Core i5-6402P * 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 MHz * Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4G * Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD * Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD * Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD * DVD RW Lite-ON iHAS 124 * Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI * Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit
    • #219564 Reply

FakeNinja
      AskWoody Lounger

I never use any software that has the option to sync between devices for privacy reasons. Everytime I hear about new Windows 10 features like these, the better I feel knowing that I’m not on Windows 10.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #219585 Reply

anonymous

Have these people never heard of Google Keep? Why is Microsoft inventing wheels that other companies have already created?

I’m staying on 1703 for now, not liking the offerings of Microsoft one bit, and this “Sticky Notes” app is just plain laughable given how I already use Google Keep extensively and have the app for Android. My notes are already synced and the app is simple and easy to use enough for me to teach my parents how to use. Why would I want another app to keep track of? (Plus Google Keep is accessible anywhere since it has a web version that any modern browser can use. Can Microsoft do that?)

• #219617 Reply

Charlie
      AskWoody Lounger

Isn’t this just wonderful.  Windows 7 has always had Sticky Notes.  Guess they took them out of Win 10, and now want to sell them back to you, along with a lot of other things they removed from Win 7.  So this is what the boys at M$ are doing instead of making good quality updates & patches!

Win 7 Home Premium, x64, Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz, Group B

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #219624 Reply

anonymous

New and improved, by giving you back what you forgot you had all along. Please browse around our Store while you are here. You may find other items you did not know you were missing.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #219642 Reply

Seattle27
          AskWoody Lounger

Here’s a story. In my case, version 1803 (Pro) no longer displayed thumbnails for mpg files and was also rebuilding the thumbnail cache each time I opened a folder with such files in it. I searched around and found that many users were experiencing this, with suggestions to reset the thumbnail cache, run disk cleanup, make registry entries, etc as solutions. None of those worked. MS apparently removed the codecs for some video files types. Turns out that to get the thumbnails back, you have to install an mpeg2 codec thing from, you guessed it, the Store. Maybe it’s just me, but was it really necessary to remove the codec for a commonly used video file format and put in the store as a separate install?

• #219665 Reply

anonymous

Hopefully the ‘improved’ version will be improved by a draw toggle. Drawing when your intention is to select text is not a great feature!

• #219715 Reply

WildBill
      AskWoody Lounger

Sticky Notes on Win10 whatever… meh. I had a Sticky Note pinned to my Win8 desktop almost from the beginning. Can’t remember if I deleted it before I upgraded to Win8.1. The Win32 app still works fine on the Desktop. Interface with Surface Pen? Cortana? pssshh…

Windows 8.1, 64-bit, now in Group B!
      Wild Bill Rides Again...

• #219736 Reply

SteveTree
      AskWoody Lounger

An attempt to increase traffic to the MS Store, perhaps?

Let’s hope that’s the case. It’s a far better option than over-fat, feature-laden programs you never use taking up disk space. Anyone for Cortana as a store-only feature?

Group A (but Telemetry disabled Tasks and Registry)
      Win 7 64 Pro desktop
      Win 10 32 Home portable

• #219760 Reply

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody MVP

2018 and Microsoft can’t think of anything better than a new release of a Sticky Notes App? Folks in Redmond, I’m genuinely embarrassed for you.

-Noel

• #224778 Reply

anonymous

I thought sticky notes v3 was supposted to sync with your outlook notes. I have O365  and I cant get sticky notes to sync to outlook or outlook notes to sync to sticky notes. am I missing some thing

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Sticky Notes v 3 rolling out to Win10 1803 customers

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.