News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Still Prefer Win 8.1 Pro Instead of Win 10

Posted on WSstarvinmarvin Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Questions: Win 8.1 (and Win 8) Still Prefer Win 8.1 Pro Instead of Win 10

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  BobbyB 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

WSstarvinmarvin
      AskWoody Lounger

Although I’m writing this post on a Windows 10 Home laptop (and it works OK) I still prefer using Win 8.1 Pro on my home-built PC. Windows 10 has a few serious annoyances:

1. Each “major” Win 10 update has reset file/folder sharing and media sharing settings to defaults. This “breaks” our home network, and I have to tediously redo these settings.
      2. Win 10 doesn’t have or support Windows Media Center for recording TV programs.
      3.  When doing the free “upgrade” from Win 8.1 Pro the update only installed Win 10 “Home”, not the Pro version. Grrr ….

Windows 8.1 Pro (on our PC and second laptop) became very easy to use when we added Classic Shell software. It restores the familiar Start button and Programs list from Win 7, and it allows you to customise the look and style a little bit, too. Years ago we dumped Comcast’s DVR and it’s monthly rip-off rental cost. We replaced it with a stand-alone digital cable TV tuner box from SiliconDust named the HDHomerun Prime. It uses a cablecard (supplied free by Comcast – hah!) for its 3 built-in digital tuners, and its output connects directly to our home router via ethernet cable. Then, the router makes live TV viewing available to any computer on our home network. This has saved us a ton of money over the years. We record TV programs (up to 3 at a time) on the Win 8.1 PC using a WD Red 3TB hard drive. Windows 8.1 never gets screwed up like Win 10 does, so we’ll stick with the older system for as long as we can. Heck, we even have a Win 7 (with Media Center) in a closet somewhere which could take over if the Win 8.1 PC has a serious problem …. 🙂

• #1759752 Reply

agoldhammer
      AskWoody Plus

Wow, Comcast gives you the cablecard for free!  I have to pay Verizon $4.95/month for mine running on Win7 Windows Media Center.

• #1761085 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Actually I have seen one case of Windows 8.1 getting messed up in a weird way… yes, it’s uncommon, but happens occasionally.

(One of those where dism /restorehealth and friends says it was broken but repairable, then did repaired and was successful, except the problem doesn’t go away)

• #1761355 Reply

radosuaf
      AskWoody Lounger

Although I’m writing this post on a Windows 10 Home laptop (and it works OK) I still prefer using Win 8.1 Pro on my home-built PC. Windows 10 has a few serious annoyances:

1. Each “major” Win 10 update has reset file/folder sharing and media sharing settings to defaults. This “breaks” our home network, and I have to tediously redo these settings.
      2. Win 10 doesn’t have or support Windows Media Center for recording TV programs.
      3.  When doing the free “upgrade” from Win 8.1 Pro the update only installed Win 10 “Home”, not the Pro version. Grrr ….

Windows 8.1 Pro (on our PC and second laptop) became very easy to use when we added Classic Shell software. It restores the familiar Start button and Programs list from Win 7, and it allows you to customise the look and style a little bit, too. Years ago we dumped Comcast’s DVR and it’s monthly rip-off rental cost. We replaced it with a stand-alone digital cable TV tuner box from SiliconDust named the HDHomerun Prime. It uses a cablecard (supplied free by Comcast – hah!) for its 3 built-in digital tuners, and its output connects directly to our home router via ethernet cable. Then, the router makes live TV viewing available to any computer on our home network. This has saved us a ton of money over the years. We record TV programs (up to 3 at a time) on the Win 8.1 PC using a WD Red 3TB hard drive. Windows 8.1 never gets screwed up like Win 10 does, so we’ll stick with the older system for as long as we can. Heck, we even have a Win 7 (with Media Center) in a closet somewhere which could take over if the Win 8.1 PC has a serious problem …. 🙂

How is it possible that you got Win 10 Home instead of Pro? I’d try a clean install or contact MS – at some point you’ll be forced to use Windows 10 anyway, better to have Pro than Home then.

MSI H110 PC MATE * Intel Core i5-6402P * 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 MHz * Aorus Radeon RX 570 4GB * Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD * Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD * Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD * DVD RW Lite-ON iHAS 124 * Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI * Windows 10 Pro 1809 64-bit
    • #1762265 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Win8.1 is Still one of M$’s best little kept secrets, never a moments worry here. If you could lay 1 criticism it would be, that every Patch Tuesday along with Office it can work out at anything from 750MB’s to nearly 1GB of updates monthly. Willingly paid as the price for stability.
      Alas poor Metro Apps will be gone the early part of this June, well the useful ones anyhow.
      Is this the writing on the wall?
      Hopefully not but it may well get increasingly neglected up to its EOL in 2023, but any Win7 Refugees after suitably modifying the GUI to their taste may well find it a useful successor to Win7 and not such a leap of faith. 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Still Prefer Win 8.1 Pro Instead of Win 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.