News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Still running 1803 Home – no auto updates

Posted on pnshldn Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1803 – April 2018 Update Still running 1803 Home – no auto updates

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by

Paul T 1 day, 5 hours ago.

• Author

pnshldn
      AskWoody Plus

I’m still running W10 Home 1803 build 17134.648 from May 2018. I do not have metered connection set. Seems like I should have received the “Fall Update” by now. The laptop wifi hardware has failed apparently – I use a StarTech USB hub with an ethernet connection.

Would the wifi hardware failure affect the update process? What would be the safest way to “force” an update. Soon I’ll be two versions behind and don’t want to fall that far back.

• #350241 Reply

anonymous

Same for me.  Core 2 Duo running v1803.

The internet connection works well and the last cumulative update was in late March.  But v1809 has not appeared.  Strange.  But I am not bothered as it is a media centre.  It’ll ‘appen when it ‘appens.

Take a system image and make certain all data files are backed up.  I also keep a copy of any drivers to hand, just in case.  Then download v1809 using the Media Creation Tool to a USB stick (min 8GB).  Boot from the USB and install v1809.

• #350256 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

You should see April Cumulative Update for 1803 KB4493464 Build 17134.706 released today. I would hold off installing it for a while until the dust settles and you are sure there are no big bugs.

If you don’t see it, I would suggest running the Windows Update Troubleshooter and see if that will fix the problem.

• #350539 Reply

pnshldn
      AskWoody Plus

You should see April Cumulative Update for 1803 KB4493464 Build 17134.706 released today. I would hold off installing it for a while until the dust settles and you are sure there are no big bugs. If you don’t see it, I would suggest running the Windows Update Troubleshooter and see if that will fix the problem.

Received 2019-04 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057) and successfully installed on 4/5/2019. I’ll wait a couple days for the April Cumulative update. So I don’t believe there is something grossly wrong with the Windows Update process. Just seems a bit odd as this UX305CA Zenbook was purchased in November 2015. That should be “recent” enough I thought for the “Fall” update to have been provided. That is why I’m concerned about no WI-FI adapter listed in Device Manager>Network Adapters.

• #350554 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Go to the PC manufacturer’s website and download the drivers for the WiFi card for your model. Maybe MS downloaded their drivers for the wifi.

MS has a block list for some hardware and software. You might try a search for what they are blocking. I don’t have a list at hand.

If you have an ISO for v1803, you can try an upgrade. Create a DVD or USB installer. Don’t boot from it, but execute setup.exe from within your current version to upgrade and keep programs and data. ISOs can be obtained from HeiDoc’s Windows ISO Downloader – read carefully as you install. v1809 is another option (from the same location).

• #433782 Reply

pnshldn
          AskWoody Plus

Oddly the drivers provided by ASUS won’t install. The Intel installer says more recent versions already installed. However the Wi-Fi is still broken.

Did a SFC /scannow and after that completed it said corrupt file(s) were replaced. Wow! This fixed my absence of WLAN driver … until I shutdown and started up later. Wi-Fi gone again. Something very odd going on here. I noticed the same behavior when the cumulative update installed; Wi-Fi worked until I shut down and restarted later. Anybody have clues as to how this happens and how I can stop it?

• #459045 Reply

EP
            AskWoody_MVP

what is the model number of the ASUS laptop? can you try running Speccy to determine the model?

• #480575 Reply

pnshldn
              AskWoody Plus

It is an ASUS ZenBook UX305CA, S/N F9N0CJ076343392

• This reply was modified 1 day, 15 hours ago by
                 pnshldn.
              • This reply was modified 1 day, 15 hours ago by
                 pnshldn.
              Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • #454938 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Run CHKDSK to test the disk structure.
      Re-run SFC. Sometimes it takes a few goes.
      Run DISM /SCANNOW.

cheers, Paul

• #481203 Reply

pnshldn
        AskWoody Plus

CHKDSK didn’t find any problems. I’ll rerun SFC next. I couldn’t find a SCANNOW option for DISM although that is what I use for SFC. My interpretation of the command is that DISM is oriented toward a specific image. Can you provide an example of when and how I would use DISM please?

SFC didn’t find any problems either. As an aside to my original post subject, the WAN adapter is missing from the Device Internet Adapter list. Last time I ran SFC it found some corrupted file(s) and the WAN adapter along with Wi-Fi capability showed up. Log file is incomprehensible to me (%windir%\logs\CBS\CBS.log)

• This reply was modified 1 day, 12 hours ago by
           pnshldn.
    • #480920 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

I was on W10 Pro 1803 17134.648 on my HP ProBook laptop and this morning I clicked on check for updates and Lo and Behold 1809 is in the process of downloading/installing as I write this. I was ready to try 1809 on 1 of my computers so that’s the reason I clicked on check for updates.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      Grp. A with 2 Win 7 Pro, also 2 Win 10 Pro currently 1803 (1 Desktop, 1 Laptop).

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Still running 1803 Home – no auto updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.