News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Stop Microsoft Outlook auto sign in

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Stop Microsoft Outlook auto sign in

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  J9438 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

J9438
      AskWoody Lounger

Stop Microsoft Outlook auto sign in

For security reasons I prefer to always sign in manually. (If someone steals your laptop all they need to do is click your favorites and, walla, they are in your email to do all kinds of nefarious things.) So the other day I was in Windows 10 Feedback Hub to complain about another Microsoft problem and something I clicked in that Hub turned all my Microsoft things to Auto Sign In – even Skype that I never use.

I spent hours on Google trying to find how to undo that. One “YouTube” video did describe a long, complex regedit process that seemed too risky. However, the “Shame on you Microsoft” angel came to my rescue and showed me a link in my administrator profile that reversed it. So for all of you with the same frustration go to your user account on Win 10 (home 1803 in my case) and click the blue link “Make changes to my account in PC settings“, and then under your picture in the lower right hand corner there is another blue link in small letters that says initially, “Sign in with a Microsoft Account Instead” that creates the auto sign in and after done changes to “Sign in with a local account instead”. So click it back to local account sign in and the auto sign in disappears.

This must also be new to Windows 10 since my Win 8.1 does not have those links.

I also discovered in all of this effort that in Win 8.1, apparently if you go directly to your Microsoft account on the internet and change your MS password it does not change your local administrator PC password, but if you change your local adm password through your PC settings it changes it on the MS account AND the local PC. So if you want separate passwords you have to change the MS account AFTER changing the PC account (or park the adm account in a closet and always use a local account only). Whew!!

Hope this saves someone else a lot of frustration!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Stop Microsoft Outlook auto sign in

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.