News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• stopping unwanted MS recommendations?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 stopping unwanted MS recommendations?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

How do I get Win 10 to stop reminding me to switch to Bing, to sign into OneDrive, and to use Edge? Every time I open settings, there they are again. DuckDuck Go is set as my search engine, Firefox as my browser, and, although I have a OneDrive account I haven’t used it since I set it up.

TIA.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

If there is no “Remember my answer and do not ask in future” checkbox, then you are in uphill battle. Next major release can try to force you to bing, Edge or whatever again. If you simply browse the web, open documents, copy photoes and watch movies, you could like GNU/Linux.

Back to the topic:
        As you are not registered here, you may not be able to see the picture, so here is how to set it:
        To prevent seeing the Edge popup, Microsoft says to go to Settings > System > Notifications & Actions

Turn all Tips, tricks, recommendations and here, maybe this could help.

notifs

And here is good article from PCWORLD.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Attachments:
          anonymous

I have Home 20H2 installed so my list of notifications is slightly different.  Mine includes the option to stop the system offering to “help me finish setting up the system” and I am grateful to you for pointing me in that direction!

I really don’t want to set up Edge, One Drive, games and telephone calls…

areader
        AskWoody Plus

Sorry about that. I am registered here: areader.

Tips/tricks was already marked off. I also turned off “suggest ways  I can finish setting up…” and that didn’t help. Since Edge and Bing aren’t listed in my list of apps I can’t go there to stop the reminders.

I read the PCWorld article and all it had was your advice about turning off tips & tricks. The rest of the article was a polite way of saying how awful MS’s behavior had been.

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

Windows 10 Pro 20H2. I don’t get any recommendations, suggestions, pop-ups…
          Default browser – Chrome. Search – Google.

Attachments:
            b
            AskWoody MVP

Those aren’t the relevant options. What do you have at Settings, System, Notifications & Actions?

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.985 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Please post the screenshot how is your Windows reminding you to use Edge for example, then we could come up with solution. Disabling tips should stop advertising MS products.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Notifications & Actions

Attachments:
          b
          AskWoody MVP

The bottom one and the two after that affect setup suggestions.

areader
        AskWoody Plus

Sorry for the delay. So much else has been going on that I forgot to check my email.

Attached is a photo of what I see on my desktop when I click on settings. I *don’t* see this on my tablet and I have no idea what my new laptop will show. I pick it up tomorrow.

I do have an MS account but I only ever accessed it through my old laptop. So why there’s a discrepancy between tablet and desktop is beyond me.

Attachments:
          b
          AskWoody MVP

Whether that header appears on the Settings page is at the whim of Microsoft; no clear rules on who gets it when, but most users seem to see it on version 20H2.

It can only be removed with third-party software and a PowerShell command:

How to manage (add/delete) the New Header on Settings Page

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: stopping unwanted MS recommendations?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.