News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Storage Strategy

Posted on Badger51 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        Badger51
        AskWoody Lounger

I just upgraded my computer and I’m re-using my second HDD from my old system.

On my old system, I had windows installed on the C: Drive.

My programs were on the 2nd HDD as Drive D:, with data on Drive E:

After a few travails, the new systems recognizes my data but I am having to reinstall my programs from scratch.

In light of this, is there any benefit to having program files on a different drive than the system drive:

thanks

• #2291109 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

IMO, the only reason to split the programs from OS is lack of space on C:.
        These days disks are cheap and there is no reason to run out of space, unless you do lots of audio / video work, then a second disk for data is of value.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2291110 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

In light of this, is there any benefit to having program files on a different drive than the system drive:

None.
        Now days the C drive should be SSD drive (preferably NVMe) which launch much faster then a HDD, so installed software should be on the system drive.

Majority of software I use is Portable kept and run from Dive D which is HDD while Windows OS runs on NVMe SSD along with installed software.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Alex5723.
      • #2291119 Reply
        Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus

Agree with above comments – no need to put Program Files on a disk other than where the OS lives.  However, there is an argument for having user data (such as documents, photos, videos, music, emails etc.) on a separate disk, because if the OS crashes or becomes compromised in some way, maybe gets bitten by a bad update, or needs to restored from backup, then the user data is not affected.  The “separate disk” ideally would be a physical drive, but could also be just a separate partition.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004

• #2291121 Reply
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

I prefer to put system and installed programs on the same volume. Second volume (D:) I use for storing my personal data – photos, music, games. I dont see much benefits apart form having my data separate from system files – its easy to backup my personal data since they are away from system.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• #2291773 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Or store then in Documents and backup Documents – and Music, Videos etc.
          The downside is your image backups become very large, but you can perform incremental image backups to save that space.

cheers, Paul

• #2292377 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

In limited situations.

Like for games… having, say, a Steam Library on your system drive is sort of a waste except if you want the speed. But since the Steam launcher is what takes care of those, instead of the operating system’s install tools… including background updates from Steam that may actually grow the thing significantly, and at a minimum cause lots of “changes” for incremental backup…

Besides, games sort of tend to be “non-critical” too, heh. And big – still easy to fill your drive with them.

So yeah, anything that doesn’t couple tightly to your operating system or has an intermediate layer for that, and is on a different update cycle from the operating system too, could benefit from the separation. And the operating system might benefit from having “large” such items somewhere else.

• #2305023 Reply
        WSRolandJS
        AskWoody Plus

For some time now, I have two partitions, C for OS and all installed programs and utilities, and D for all data.  I leave the My Documents alone, I simply “tell” all programs and utilities that bother to “listen” — put all results into D subdirectories…

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin, revisted

• #2305030 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Another consideration (System vs Programs on separate drives) is that the Registry has many pointers to programs. Gone are the days when a program was truly portable; now they are Installed, and the Registry is an Umpire/Mediator ‘tween you and them. So, Programs separate are, generally, of no benefit if System crashes – unless one had an instantaneous/current image of the Registry files. For all users.

In theory, more parallelism (accessors) is goodness – but now one is getting into the Data Center / Server environment.

• #2305031 Reply
        WSRolandJS
        AskWoody Plus

In another forum, I mentioned a potential problem:

Backup image of OS has X date/time stamp

Backup image containing user profiles and/or MyDocuments has a different time/date stamp.

Would there be problems trying to “merge” user profiles/My Documents into OS, since they both have different time/date stamps?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin, revisted

• #2305089 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Did you get a reply in the other forum? Link please.

cheers, Paul

• #2305187 Reply
        WSRolandJS
        AskWoody Plus

RolandJS in bleepingcomputer and sevenforum – backup/restore sections.  Right ear problem, will be back later possibly.

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Storage Strategy

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.