News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Story time: How an antivirus almost made me buy a new network adapter card

Posted on Zaphyrus Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Story time: How an antivirus almost made me buy a new network adapter card

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Author
        Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

This time I came to tell a story about how a  bad antivirus made me thought that my network card was dying.

Sadly, for those that have read my topics, this doesnt have anything to do with my (still) unresolved wifi issues

You see, I had Avira as my antivirus  and it had an update which changed everything I liked about it, so I decided to uninstall it and installed Avast

at first, everything seemed nice, since I used Avast for a while…. then stuff started happening

I like to play games  so I started to notice at random times they stuttered a bit, I panicked checked at event viewer  and security and maintanance and nothing seemed wrong

So at fist I decided to avoid playing   resources demanding games……..but then I started to notice it in games that even a windows 98 can run the issue appeared.

So well, since I couldnt find a solution I decided to stop playing games, then one day I started noticing the issue happened whenever my internet went down.

that’s when I started to fear my network adapter, but initially I calmed down blaming it on my wifi  issues

little did I know  that worse  issues were going to start happening

At first it was a “wifi reset” (it disconnected and then connected right away)

Sadly in my home I have wifi “outages” alot  and I noticed that in one of those moments, I noticed my wifi disconnected, but not only that, my Wifi dissapeared

then at random times, my internet disconnect and my home wifi dissapeared

I tried to search all kinds of solutions,

but nothing, I was about to buy a new adapter card

then I realized that everything started when I installed Avast

then I decided to uninstall it and re-install avira

and One week later, No more random disconnection or “wifi resets”

What I learned is that sometimes what you suspect the less may be what is causing you issues

In my case, it was Avast, I am so dissapointed and I dont think I will ever install it again.

Sadly my modem issues still continue, but I think that the one at fault is my internet modem. So for now I will be patient until this get solved.

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
        • This topic was modified 1 month ago by Zaphyrus.
    Viewing 0 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Story time: How an antivirus almost made me buy a new network adapter card

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.