News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Strange audio glitch

Posted on bmeacham Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Strange audio glitch

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Alex5723 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

bmeacham
      AskWoody Plus

Several strange things have happened on my machine. I am posting here to see if anyone has any ideas about them.

Strange Thing Number One

Yesterday the audio on my computer suddenly quit working. Windows 10 gave me a notification about it. I poked around and tried the troubleshooter, but that didn’t help. No sound was coming out of my speakers.

Strange Thing Number Two

I remembered something about Windows Updates causing issues, but that was about video, not audio. I looked in my update history and found that the only recent update was from Adobe Acrobat Reader that very day. But Adobe had not notified me that an update was available, nor that it had been installed. And I had set Adobe to ask me about updates rather than install them automatically. I can’t seem to uninstall the update. On Adobe’s website I see that the version of Acrobat I now have, 19.021.20048, was released yesterday (Oct 17) and is an Out Of Cycle patch. Do I not get notified about Out Of Cycle patches?

Strange Thing Number Three

I thought about restoring to an earlier restore point, so I opened up System Restore. It offered to restore me to a point four days earlier, when I had installed some software. But I then looked at More Restore Points and found two that very day about 17 minutes apart and about 20 minutes before I looked. Their description said “Windows Update.” Windows Update had certainly not notified me about anything. Could they have been due to the troubleshooter, which I ran twice?

Strange Thing Number Four

I restored to the first of the two restore points from that day. Then my audio worked! What the heck happened?

I am running Windows 10 Home version 1903 on a Dell XPS 13 9343 a couple of years old.

If anybody has any clues about what was going on here, I’d love to hear them.

• #1984229 Reply

cyberSAR
      AskWoody Plus

Seems I remember reading about windows 10 updates breaking audio on some Dells. May want to check for updated drivers and/or audio programs at Dell’s support site. Also try browsing/searching the Dell forums for similar issues.

• #1984238 Reply

bmeacham
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks. Dell SupportAssist says all my drivers are up to date.  Support forums talk about uninstalling the audio driver and rebooting so a new one will be installed and about doing system restore.  System restore worked for me.  Just wondering what the heck happened.

• #1984239 Reply

cyberSAR
      AskWoody Plus

If it occurs again, before doing system restore or uninstalling the drivers, check the Dell audio program and make sure the default audio device didn’t get changed. I remember that happening on a machine but can’t remember what OS it was.

• #1988871 Reply

anonymous

Hi. I’m not saying the 2 are related, but Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (19.021.20048) update was installed on my computer 4 days ago. Now I can’t cut/paste/modify Word UNLESS I restart the computer. Then all okay.
      Anyone else have this issue please? Could the Adobe update be the issue?

Also, is there a way to uninstall Adobe update 19.021.20048 please? Windows 10 Home with Dell XPS 13 …basically the same setup as bmeacham.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can offer.

• #1989044 Reply

anonymous

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (19.021.20048) update was installed on my Win8.1 computer on 18 October.  I have Office 2016 and have just checked that Word allows me to cut, paste and edit.

All seems OK.  Audio plays OK as well.

You could try going to Control Panel/Installed Programs, highlight Adobe Acrobat, right click, select “Repair installation”.

• #1994291 Reply

anonymous

Until the other day my Dragon Professional Individual English Version 15.30 was working perfectly. Then Microsoft pushed Windows 10 Professional Build 1909 on to my HP ENVY Desktop 795-0050 with integrated audio [Audio Codec CX20642-31Z – High Definition (Azalia) 5.1 channel audio support]. Since then Dragon has been unable to recognize the microphone in my Andrea NC-185VM USB head set.

Is there a comparability problem with Dragon 15.3 and Windows 10 build 1909?

• #1994304 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Is there a comparability problem with Dragon 15.3 and Windows 10 build 1909?

Have you checked this solution ?

Microphone not recognised by Dragon?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Strange audio glitch

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.